plymouth

Go to Cornwall or Newhaven! The Solent is fishing, but the eastern end is better than the western end at the moment. Newhaven is fishing fairly well. There are some cod coming from Falmouth boats. Plymouth isn't known as a cod port.

Edited by Acuspell

Some big cod taken off Exmouth/Torquay Lyme bay wrecks produce well in the summer mate mainly Pollack this time of year though. Plymouth is not the best port for cod though...... are you from Plymouth or planning a trip.

Some big cod taken off Exmouth/Torquay Lyme bay wrecks produce well in the summer mate mainly Pollack this time of year though. Plymouth is not the best port for cod though...... are you from Plymouth or planning a trip.

no mate we booked one in autumn and boat broke down so he owes us a day and he rang to say he had the 20 feb or 12 march free after that it was may so just wondered which one to take thought 12 march might be better thought someone could help me out and tell me what month fishes best thats why plymouth from worcester myself

Take the 20 Feb, good building tides, so th epollack fishing would be good. Use a flying collar rig:

12lb class rod and matched multiplier loaded with 30lb braid.

French boom is better than one of those plastic straws.

Weight on th ebottom to match drift - go down as fast as possible, it will save you losing loads of tackle.

15 foot trace from boom to a redgill / sidewinder / shad. Orange or black would be my first choice, OR luminous if you can find any.

Drop to the bottom. Wind up at a steady pace to midwater -count the turns. I would go for 20 or 30 turns. Then ndrop down again, under control because the lure will fish going down as well as up and often they will take on the way down if you go down at a reasonable pace.

When winding in, and you get a tap - just keep winding. DO NOT STOP, do not try to strike. Just keep winding at the same rate or even slightly faster. You MUST have your drag set before you start, set it to yield line at the rods loading, so once the rod is at full curve the line should peel out from your reel smoothly. It should just start to give line as the rod gets to about 80 degrees of arc. DO NOT CHANGE THIS DRSAG SETTING ALL DAY....if you need more, clamp your thumb on the spool. Beware of line burns, when a pollack crash dives, it can smash you up, that is why it is so important to have your drag set.

take plenty of leads, booms, swivels, link swivels of some kind (I prefer cross locks) 30lb fluorocarbon - yes fluoro will make a difference to your catch rate. And plenty of lures.

have fun.

Take the 20 Feb, good building tides, so th epollack fishing would be good. Use a flying collar rig:

Weight on th ebottom to match drift - go down as fast as possible, it will save you losing loads of tackle.

15 foot trace from boom to a redgill / sidewinder / shad. Orange or black would be my first choice, OR luminous if you can find any.

Drop to the bottom. Wind up at a steady pace to midwater -count the turns. I would go for 20 or 30 turns. Then ndrop down again, under control because the lure will fish going down as well as up and often they will take on the way down if you go down at a reasonable pace.

When winding in, and you get a tap - just keep winding. DO NOT STOP, do not try to strike. Just keep winding at the same rate or even slightly faster. You MUST have your drag set before you start, set it to yield line at the rods loading, so once the rod is at full curve the line should peel out from your reel smoothly. It should just start to give line as the rod gets to about 80 degrees of arc. DO NOT CHANGE THIS DRSAG SETTING ALL DAY....if you need more, clamp your thumb on the spool. Beware of line burns, when a pollack crash dives, it can smash you up, that is why it is so important to have your drag set.

take plenty of leads, booms, swivels, link swivels of some kind (I prefer cross locks) 30lb fluorocarbon - yes fluoro will make a difference to your catch rate. And plenty of lures.

have fun.

Very well said mate,

I would too take this date, mid March see fish moving off the wrecks, Jan, Feb should be 2 good months then end of april through the summer.

All the other advice is bang on, I use 40lb amnesia as my trace line, don't use a light normal mono you will tangle constantly.

Pollack fishing is great fun on the right gear and at this time of year there's a real possibility of a big fish, a good few fish will be 15lb plus with the odd 20lber+ about, plus I don't think there's much difference in the eating qualities between them.

Let us know how it goes :thumbs:

have fun.

Holy s h I t. I'm not into sea fishing, more coarse. but that sounds exciting and was very well worded. I was on a boat there for a second reading that !!! Lol atb

• 2 weeks later...

had a great trip out of plymouth last april. it was my mate's stag weekend, we had a good mixed bag pouting, pollock,ling,haddock,whiting & conger to about 25lb.

bristol channel fishing well for cod a mo.went out last week 31st nothing big but good eaters.can't remember the last time i was that fcuking cold. fish to 26lb have been caught over last month. get down there & fill your boots

dave