Grafting in a hard spinney (The Cropsafe Crew)

I spoke to one of the keepers yesterday and he asked if I would move a few rabbits out of the spinney across the road from me. We did this last year and the year before and had excellent results from it even though it's hard going. I know just how many rabbits are in there, I can see them from my bedroom window in the edge of the field and I walk the terriers up there twice a day.

We did a small hedgerow just 200 yards a way first because I saw 17 rabbits sat on the roadside the other night when I came home from lamping with the rifle. It's great having rabbits on your doorstep, especially when they bounce back every year, how they do after we clear them up I don't know but they do.

We took 8 quick rabbits of the roadside hedge to the dismay of some of the passing motorists, (Aaahhh did he just kill that bunny rabbit brigade) .....unlucky! it has to be done . When I told the lads where we were heading next it followed by a few seconds of silence, they know it's graft but they get stuck in. The cover is so thick it's almost impossible to squeeze through on your belly, we were like crawling maggots on the floor. It is really hard work, you need the proper clothing and dedication to do it, I know many who would shy off it.

The main thing is you do miss loads of holes, it's impossible to see them all and the inevitable always happens. Yes you net 98% and they always bolt from the ones you miss, but we were quite lucky today. I have seen rabbits come to the net back off and then bolt from open holes, they do seem to know what nets are, it must be instinct.

The first set produced a steady 4, with just 1 dig but it's quite hard digging when you struggle to get the spade vertical. I got the stink of a charlie when we approached the next one, I had smelt it the last few days when I walked the dogs but decided to leave it for future reference. Unfortunately we didn't go prepared for charlie so we left that one just in case and moved to the next one.

At this time we were black, you get the black dust off the blackthorn bushes all over you, jet black moustache and beard even if you don't have one. All the sets produced as predicted and even though we only missed about 4 (a miracle in these conditions) we were loving it. It can be a painful exercise, blackthorn spikes, wild rose bushes and brambles, I am booked in to have a spike removed at the hospital in 2 weeks, that's been in my hand for 5 months (ouch) It was amazing that we didn't loose any ferrets too, it's so hard to see anything in there. One ferret shot out of a set and into the next one before we could catch it, it bolted 4 rabbits but they went straight back down another hole, lovely jubbley.

We stopped at the top of this spinney as there are a couple of maize strips for the game birds. We could have done many more rabbits higher up but we don't want to spook the partridge, there are only a couple of weeks left game shooting so we will have the other rabbits off here at a later stage.

A few minutes dropping guts and a count up revealed a very respectable round 40, excellent results from such a difficult area, we had excelled today. Then next trip will hopefully be a little or should I say a lot easier, time will tell, but we don't care either way as long as we are out and about.

One thing I must mention is young Charlie who comes with us now and again worked his tits off, he grafted all day and did some excellent dives to secure the rabbits that were in snagged nets and ready to get free. Keep it up and you will be a permanent part of the crew soon lad.

IMG_2474.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

Edited by stevethefish

Well Trev the lads take the rabbits back with them, they help to pay for the fuel and a bit of ferret grub. I have the odd ones for the ferrets, but it's all for pest control we are lucky to have a lot around here.

Yes we look after the animals well, you have to keep them in tip top condition.

• Like 2

remembers me working a large estate all poaching in the buckthorn all along the beach on the edge of a large estate hands and knees loved it ,all the holes were sandy not deep , but you had to wriggle through them , they always held rabbs as no c was daft enough or keen enough i like the thought out of site , out of mind , not many lads ventured into the buckthorn all done th open sandy burries , good [bANNED TEXT] up steve brought back memories of 30 years ago , and more was in brambles other day and nettles as far as it gets now but i think ill have alook tomorow at the buckthorn holes , used to get lots of roe runs in them leson lernt at a young age

Great write up Steve (It’s what I’ve come to expect) Blackthorn and Brambles what a pain in the arse, literally :cray: But there’s something quite satisfying about squeezing a septic thorn out isn’t there :toast: ? Or is that just me :whistling:

Regards

Sean