CCI 22LR Rounds

The .22 case isn't big enough to drive a round fast. It can't hold enough powder (and there are pressure issues with the rimfire case too).

A bullet travelling in the high supersonic region (as most CF rifle hunting bullets do) is very stable. This is because the airflow around the bullet is all supersonic and so regular.

A bullet travelling in the subsonic region (as most LR hunting rounds do) is stable because the air flow around the bullet is all (well, mostly) subsonic, therefore incompressible and therefore stable.

The reason the LR HV rounds are inaccurate is because they fly in what we aerodynamicists call the "transonic" region. This means that some of the airflow is supersonic, some subsonic. This tends to set up parasitic and unpredictable air flows and turbulence, which in turn makes the flight unpredictable, and can cause a lot of shot to shot variation in flight and POI.

Some peoples rifles manage to get them to fly straight, nobody knows why, they really shouldn't!

If you look at the match .22 rounds, they all fly at subsonic speeds for this exact reason.

The .22 case isn't big enough to drive a round fast. It can't hold enough powder (and there are pressure issues with the rimfire case too).

A bullet travelling in the high supersonic region (as most CF rifle hunting bullets do) is very stable. This is because the airflow around the bullet is all supersonic and so regular.

A bullet travelling in the subsonic region (as most LR hunting rounds do) is stable because the air flow around the bullet is all (well, mostly) subsonic, therefore incompressible and therefore stable.

The reason the LR HV rounds are inaccurate is because they fly in what we aerodynamicists call the "transonic" region. This means that some of the airflow is supersonic, some subsonic. This tends to set up parasitic and unpredictable air flows and turbulence, which in turn makes the flight unpredictable, and can cause a lot of shot to shot variation in flight and POI.

Some peoples rifles manage to get them to fly straight, nobody knows why, they really shouldn't!

If you look at the match .22 rounds, they all fly at subsonic speeds for this exact reason.

very well put however my cz fires remington hv yellow jackets with no problems but is shite with every other type ive tried

Like I said, sometimes you'll find a rifle that will fire one or more HV rounds accurately. Nobody knows why, it shouldn't happen, but the world would be boring if things did what we expected all the time!

I've never understood why the ammunition manufacturers make what is inherently an inaccurate round. I guess the marketing bumf about more power and range (again a falsehood, the turbulent flows will strip off extra speed very quickly) and the fact that they work occasionally is enough to make them economically viable. I guess the extra cost to manufacture is minimal, and they can fetch a significant premium, making them worth producing for relatively small sales figures.

Like I said, sometimes you'll find a rifle that will fire one or more HV rounds accurately. Nobody knows why, it shouldn't happen, but the world would be boring if things did what we expected all the time!

I've never understood why the ammunition manufacturers make what is inherently an inaccurate round. I guess the marketing bumf about more power and range (again a falsehood, the turbulent flows will strip off extra speed very quickly) and the fact that they work occasionally is enough to make them economically viable. I guess the extra cost to manufacture is minimal, and they can fetch a significant premium, making them worth producing for relatively small sales figures.

they sure dont sell many ive been buying the odd box for years from the same dealer and as there still the same price £2.99 for 50 i can only assume its still the same stock hes had years :laugh:

they sure dont sell many ive been buying the odd box for years from the same dealer and as there still the same price £2.99 for 50 i can only assume its still the same stock hes had years :laugh:

They're probably worth more than that as scrap! :laugh:

theres nothing wrong with hv rounds but the rifle does make a considerable difference my cz brno is magnificent with subs i use winnies but is no use with hv of any brand but my bsa martini is at home with both slightly higher twist rate i think keeps them more stable.

engineer

Topics with '.22LR HV rounds' tend to closely followed by the words 'CRAP' and 'GROUPING'... throw the brand 'CCI' into the mixer and this multiplies ten fold. I've got 2 box's of CCI stingers in the safe, had them 5years... 95 rounds left. I find all brands as bad as each other. The copper washing on a lot of the HV stuff flakes off from the muzzel and welds itself to the moderator washers / baffles sticking like shit to a blanket. Don't fall for the marketing - get a centerfire for fox's and do them properly or use standard .22 subs, coax them in close and put the round confidently where you know it should go. IMO obviously.

Matt

Topics with '.22LR HV rounds' tend to closely followed by the words 'CRAP' and 'GROUPING'... throw the brand 'CCI' into the mixer and this multiplies ten fold. I've got 2 box's of CCI stingers in the safe, had them 5years... 95 rounds left. I find all brands as bad as each other. The copper washing on a lot of the HV stuff flakes off from the muzzel and welds itself to the moderator washers / baffles sticking like shit to a blanket. Don't fall for the marketing - get a centerfire for fox's and do them properly or use standard .22 subs, coax them in close and put the round confidently where you know it should go. IMO obviously.

Matt

Cheers pal, Very good advice. Im off to get some more Subs tomorrow, Try different brands.