jills bring out of season or not

i no some people who never bring there gills out of season and have never had any trouble with them, (these people are old gamekeepers) an old gamekeeper told me it does them no harm whatsoever, and he has had ferrets for over 50yrs. so i think he is experienced enough to know :D years ago when i had ferrets i never had them taken out of season, i just let them carry on and never lost one because of this. i only ever bred them once,, i have now got back into ferreting and read all this stuff about bringing them out of season if your not going to breed them :rolleyes: , i have no intention of breeding mine as i have what i need,

would like to no what the views of some of you guys is on the subject :hmm:

Jills come into season each spring and STAYin season until mated. If allowed to remain in season they develop a form of anaemia through the suppression of bone marrow resulting in the decline of red blood cells and can become very ill and ultimately die.

Most vets advise that jills are spayed when they are not in season however this will be a preference of the practising vet. It is easy to tell if a jill is in season as the entrance to the vagina swells very noticeably until it is the size of a small hazelnut.

This swelling will reduce and the vagina will return to normal size when the jill is brought out of season however if the jill is allowed to remain is a state of continuously remaining in season then the swelling can also reduce often duping owners into believing the jill is well and there is nothing to be concerned about. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. A jill which is left in season beyond for more than a couple of months is already likely to be suffering from anaemia and if allowed to continue will result in lethargy, hair loss, paleness in the gums, ears and foot pad; all symptomatic of oestrogen induced anaemia.

Appropriate means to neutering / removing a jill from season

Extracted from ferret trust.

Personally RATHER BE SAFE THAN SORRY!!!!!!!

(these people are old gamekeepers)

Never known keepers to pay much attention to ferts, the ones i have seen, hardly go near them, just chucking in a rabbit,

i remember years ago a keeper selling young ferts, they were a good age, he opened the hutch, they had never been handled, and would have bit your hands to bits.

never bought ferts from keepers after that.

• Like 1

I leave my jills in season until the days start drawing in and they come out of season naturally :yes: never had any of these so called conditions associated with leaving them in season and definately never lost one through being left in season :thumbs: and pet ferret owner ferret100 has asked if I'll have a jill submitted to a vet for blood tests to be carried out later on this summer to see why they are still alive

Y.I.S Leeview

How else can you bring a jill out of season other than mating them with a vasectimised male or getting mated properly to take?

jill jab from vets

Looks like you know your opinion then and what to do :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

will leave mine in season as i used to do ;)