Top speed

I also think its down to the type of lurcher. My big deerhoundy lurchers probably at 18 to 24 months they are as fast as they will ever be, but with age comes cunning! ;) The bull sort I have seem to be very fast at 12 months, they can then go back a bit if they bulk up but I try to keep em lean n mean. My friend who races grews and greyhounds will say his dogs are fastest between 12 months and 3 years then they often slow down fairly rapidly, and seeing the ammount of retired dogs at 4 or 5 it seems to be the case.

I still find that my older dogs are fast enough to catch their game even at around the ten year mark, so Ive never worried about it much. I also prefer it when they stop tear arsing about as young stock, and start to use a bit of sense, only going flat out if needed... well the deerhounds anyway, not so much the bullys :laugh:

• Like 1

I was having a conversation about this with a friend of mine and just wanted to know other people's opinions,I'm of the opinion also that small dogs mature quicker and reach there top speed earlier were as larger dogs perhaps reach top speed around 18 months to 2 years old.

Jamie

got some fast young dogs at moment 2 and 3 , you no when there fast as if the qaurry is 100 200 yards away and they can bend it of were they want to go , and start runnng it clever if the chance arises thtas speed and controled running

dependin on breed some dogs mature 14months some dogs mature 24months its all down to wat parent wre lik

got mother and 2 sons ,mother matured realy young say about 12 /14 months both sons matured at 22/24 months ,got a dog here now just gone 2 you would think he 6 month

speed in whip/greys,,,,,if injury free,,,,they reach there peak at 3yearold

as pups,,,,ull get the full off energy crap ect from them,,,,at somtimes the younger one will win,,,,but as the day goes on,,,the 3 yearold with more experance,,,will hold its own in good style

greyhounds run there one race,,,,that day,,,thats it,,,,what if they have to run threwout the day ???? the younger ones start to fall,,,,not all,,,as the younger one COULD just be the faster animal,,,,,ive got a dog doing faster times when he was 5 yearold,,no injurys,,,than he was doing at 2year old ect ect

i had him out after daytime ,,,afternoon everyday this week,,,,and for the very 1st time,,,,he was not putting the bushing work in he normally does and was watching dogs for the chase,,,but hes 7 this year ,,,,4 weeks ago ,,,he was first to work hard,,,and first to get the slip,,,,but age does catch up lol