New Here. Pics of My Pup and Some Questions.

Hi everyone, just a quick post to share some pictures of my pup and ask a few questions.

I recently moved to the UK after previously living in Ireland and Spain for 9 years. I got into lamping and coursing while living in Ireland and soon got hooked. I had a 3/4 hound and she was one of the best dogs around(not to blow my own trumpet) She died while I was in Spain and I haven't hunted for about 5 years.

I was young in Ireland and ran my pup at 5 months. She was lucky and turned out to be a cracker but after researching now I see that I need to wait until around 10-12 months to run a dog.

I recently bought a Lurcher. She's a Saluki/Greyhound with a touch of Collie. Real nice dog. I got her when she was 3 months. I work late so she always gets walked in the dark with the lamp. I have been purposely choosing a route where i know there are no rabbits to tempt me or her. However, this past week I switched up and started taking a different route. Lot's of rabbits about.

She's 6 months now and she ran her first rabbit last night. Had the lamp on it in the middle of a field and walked towards with her until it ran. She chased it all the way to the ditch but no kill. Took her out again tonight and she chased 2. No kill, but showing some great potential for her first runs really eager. She went from not knowing anything to following the lamp and running keen.

Now the question I have is... Will running her on 1 or 2 rabbits now and again at this age really do her harm? Am I being an idiot and should I switch back to my old route? I'm not thinking of taking her out for a real hunt. Just looking for some advice i guess.

Here are some pics of her.

3 months

{296790_10150404695305792_578605791_10689851_1342669672_n.jpg

4 months.

2011-12-25212854.jpg?t=1324849266

5 months ( she's a little skinny here. Found it hard to keep the weight on her but she's looking a lot healthier now)

2011-12-25213029.jpg?t=1324849206

2011-12-25213035.jpg?t=1324849316

6 months. She wouldn't stay still! Will get a better pic soon.

EDIT: This is a better pic.

photo.jpg?t=1326226362

Edited by Matt3699

let he be a pup mate, you will get all different opinions on here, but my personal opinion is start em on the lamp around 11/12 months old. its just my opinion and it works for me but may not work for others, not as easy if your running end of season bunnies that have been educated though.

best of luck with the pup and welcome to the site.

cheers, matt

• Like 1

only problem with running her at one or two bunnies now and again is that if she keeps missing them, she will get frustrated and either learn to pull up and stop chasing or start yapping. you don't want either really. i got my first lurcher a little over a year ago and i probably started him too early which led to him growling and starting to open up a little when given a hard run. luckily for me, i realised and stopped him til he was more mature and gave him some really easy slips to build his confidence and now he's silent when he runs. my point is, you're better off waiting til she's strong enough to catch regularly and start her on real easy rabbits at the beginning of the season to give her as good of a chance as possible to build confidence and skill.

ATB with the pup, she looks a cracker !

• Like 4

Thanks for the replies! I think I will lay her off. Maybe blood her on a bunny and leave her be until she's fully grown.

It's hard to know what to do as everyone has different thoughts... And i'm sure you all know the excitement of getting a new dog going!

I just took a picture there now....

photo.jpg?t=1326226362

Thanks for the compliments. I spent MONTHS looking for her. I knew what I wanted in my head... But could not find any like her for the life of me. Then i stumbled across an advert on the internet randomly, I was going on Holiday a week later... But I knew I had to have her. Took a 2 hour drive and got pick of the litter. Full litter left all pups at 3 months. Couldn't believe it.

I will take my old route and stop her on the rabbits then... for now. Wouldn't want to ruin her. Thanks again.

I will keep you updated on her growth and have a browse of the forum.

cracking looking pup mate, i currently have an 11mnth old pup and her breeder and i have just started giving them a run or two in the last few weeks, mines got 2 out of 3 runs last nite, and 1 out of 2 both the previous nites, her sister is doing similar. take your time she's still a pup your gonna have her for a long time, at this stage its all about learning and new experiences for them and trying to install confidence make them think they're unbeatable, they can be pains at times (my little so n so wont retrieve what she catches) but patience and perseverance will win the day

good luck with your pup