Lamping with two dog

Hi i have a Saluki / greyhound that no his job and have a young puppy that I like to bring on but am finding it very hard to walk both dogs and lamp cos only want to slip my saluki dog so the puppy can watch and see what he needs to do any tips would be great thanks

If you are struggling with 2 dogs then the youngster will not receive the attention it may need at this vital stage of its development,take the youngster on its own and kick up a few easy runs,it will learn more that way.
  • Like 1

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take the pup on its own when it's old enough. They don't need to watch another dog to learn how to chase a rabbit.

another trick you need plenty game to get a steady dog plus long walks with no game so they dont think walks mean game , neve rhad qdog master me yet had some done my head in but some are better worke

down to trainig and entering to do two dogs on there own , all this pulling i would soon put them strait as pups , long before they saw a feild , wouldnt have a mad pulling dog full stop not a joy to

Posted Images

nor would i , far from it , but a good project and food for thought ,something i would lke to do as there not been a book properly done by serous hunting people in uk mosy have either not been skilled enough or done enough , most have been either obeidence minded but not hunting minded or the other never abit of both in my time

train to hunt,or hunt to train :laugh: :laugh: thats the million dollar question :laugh:

whin what ever happened to the mark glenn fella,, i can only remember him having a pure beardie,, then mating it to a grey,, to get danny,,, then remember him as a youn dog.......................but what happened after???

did he make old bones?? did he breed from it??? does he still own lurchers and hunt?? cheers TOMO

Didnt he run a half cross wheaten grey bred out of springviews horrace as well ? I allways enjoyed his articles allthough i allways thought he came across as a bit of a plummer type with his theory's, i maybe wrong but i remember him writing about sickening the Danny dog on rabbits on purpose so it wouldn't chase them, so the dog would be more steady for other tasks, maybe a bit fanciful i walked by night crack. Whin tell us more ? :thumbs:
  • Like 1

i would recomend anybody who wants to learn about lurchers and training to serously not come on here but get an old mag edrd in the early ninties a guy called marc c glenn he trained a dog and was pretty handy at it there was weeks of training on it. his pup danny he got to feild trails etc an d it could fill abag to , or d slieght etc they have alot more knowledge than a computer at the dog game and are not as spiky as me at times , i think j darcys bringin a book out lurcher training etc

See whin ye can be helpful :laugh::thumbs:

100% whin

leave it for another time saw his dogs work very good dogs in any mans hands ,was no plummer as he hunted daily and the thoery worked as on a nite if you wanted only one qaurry he sickend it so it was not a headles chicken and stalked and chose its qaurry to catch , ive passed a hundred rabbs tite to a fence or wood for it to pick out one thats killable , and it was a young dog i traind some of mines simliar at times ,

leave it for another time saw his dogs work very good dogs in any mans hands ,was no plummer as he hunted daily and the thoery worked as on a nite if you wanted only one qaurry he sickend it so it was not a headles chicken and stalked and chose its qaurry to catch , ive passed a hundred rabbs tite to a fence or wood for it to pick out one thats killable , and it was a young dog i traind some of mines simliar at times ,

Whin i saw the dog work when it ran in the field trials, and it did well for its age it was only a young dog if i remember right, and it was very very steady. And no i wasn't a NLRC puppet, i was up there on the invite of a mate at the time :thumbs:

if you were up ther who would you be and who were you with , ye danny qualified at nine ten months he won it the hunting lamping easy but he never ferreted so that let him down, but there you go a 14 monthold dog winning hunting and lamping rabbs against expeienced dogs and he could catch more than a rabbit , it made a mochery of the hunting trails after that for me ,but thtas life and time moves on ,i showed him good saluk crosses, grews and collie grews he showed me good beardie crosses not hancocks etc good scotish working beardies who could cacth all game , so it was agood swap

if you were up ther who would you be and who were you with , ye danny qualified at nine ten months he won it the hunting lamping easy but he never ferreted so that let him down, but there you go a 14 monthold dog winning hunting and lamping rabbs against expeienced dogs and he could catch more than a rabbit , it made a mochery of the hunting trails after that for me ,but thtas life and time moves on ,i showed him good saluk crosses, grews and collie grews he showed me good beardie crosses not hancocks etc good scotish working beardies who could cacth all game , so it was agood swap

Whin i was up there with an old mate from nearly fifteen years ago and he left the NLRC a long time ago, i aint puttin the blokes name up on an open forum as he keeps him self to him self these days.
  • Like 1

ye had a few out my self Chalkie saw four or five winners work , with some of my own dogs good fun, found out in my early twenties and younger obeidence doesnt cacth game but helps to bring some sort of soundnes into dogs , i was always out with pups working them hence had only young dogs at the thing , as after a seasonof graft, obeidence they wanted went out the window,in real lurcher work, hywels dog was agood one so was m chapmas bob simliar dogs and mc glenns dog al hardy not just rabbit dogs same with rooney etc , good crack i was going do athing simliar but only one man wanted to put the land up unless i paid for land , the man was not the most favorite lol