dog`s not bothering rabbits

Guest busterdog

None of my working terriers work rabbits, i've just entered a young bitch though that will dig on and try and work one but i'm sure with a bit of guidance she'll soon stop.

If you get one like mine at the biginning of it's career that starts to do it then (and this should be a matter of course) never encourage them to ground. Try and find an earth thats deffinetly occupied, perhaps get a mark of an older terrier and then let the younger one in. Most (but not all) will stop pissing about with them when they get wed to there true calling in life.

One of my pet hates is watching other terriermen hiss there dogs down holes, it makes me fcking cringe, a terrier knows more about the earth by walking over it than you will ever know, NEVER ask them to go, they should do it all naturally

Edited by busterdog
  • Like 5

I had a dog a few week's ago kill a rabbit to ground :icon_redface::laugh: he had just bolted a fox half hour before and was re-entered in another earth no baying or banging just stuck in 1 place for 20 mins was .5 to .6 on the box and under a tree so decided to drop a hole see what was going of and there he was munching on a bunny :laugh: the dog was by no way green either he is over 4 and had a good few dig's over him i guess if they come across them they are gonna kill them i am just glad it was only a 15min job getting him and he wasnt working the rabbit :icon_redface::laugh:

thats why when i got a young terrier at three to four months i take em out weres theres plently of rabbits and let em workem plus out ferretin as well with me ole bitch . but never incourage them and they do that right up to when they enter to fox and thats the only time they get praised but i will say theres been a couple of pups ive add which would screem to get to ground on a rabbit and when down they bay like workin a fox those didnt say ive done that way for 30 years but the thing is my dogs are out every day and no the score not locked in pens going mad

Guest busterdog

Hedz, my old Buster killed a rabbit once, it happens, but it's when they work up to them thats the problem. I don't just mean baying at them i mean they put the effort into digging on and give you the impression they're working up to there fox. I've found that once you've dug them your half way to fcking them and they'll go that extra yard thinking they're doing right.

Edited to say "i wonder how many they kill without you ever knowing about it"

Edited by busterdog

I use a lurcher for catching,marking rabbits-have never ever incouraged any of my terriers to work,show interest in rabbits-a terrier that hunts rabbit is no good in my eyes-wasted time looking,digging too lost terriers-not worth the f****n hassle-how do you stop your dog from leaving the fox and f****n off to get stuck on a rabbit?-catch more rabbits with a ferret/lurcher in my eyes-hunting rabbits with a terrier is a surefire way to losing the dog.These are my views-my views only-i do know a few lads with terriers they use on rabbit-but its hard enough keeping track of a terrier without it flying to ground every 5 mins to rabbit-i like my rabbits to come back in 1 piece :thumbs: never seen a softmouthed terrier :D atb

To my mind any decent terrier that has seen a fox will have enough about it to know the difference when required to do one or the other . When i used to keep ferrets i always had an terrier along and never ruined one in doing so .If a terrier pulls on the lead marking ,id like to think we were on a fox and never had one pull at a rabbit place .I lamp the terriers with my old lurcher more to keep them fit than anything but they will join in on a worry when the old girl catches which is not very often these days . They know the crack . The very same terriers will bush if required ,something that i try not to do with more than one as they have a habit of finding a place to get in .I can see why some lads are a bit paranoid about it but my experience leads me to believe they would much rather being doing something that bites back ,given the choice .

just got back from walkin the dogs the rain been hammerin down. ole bitch goes to ground were theres 40 odd holes shit loads of rabbits use it the ole girl drops in and 5 mins bayin out comes the first followed by the second i add the two cockers tryed up as i was listenin to me ole girl. one is only 5 month old i took her straight to the hole were the foxes bolted straight in tail going mad to the end of the lead up come me bitch nose down and off shes goes on sent with the cockers doing the same so as you see i let my dogs enjoy ther work what ever breed or quarry they work lifes to sort

Hedz, my old Buster killed a rabbit once, it happens, but it's when they work up to them thats the problem. I don't just mean baying at them i mean they put the effort into digging on and give you the impression they're working up to there fox. I've found that once you've dug them your half way to fcking them and they'll go that extra yard thinking they're doing right.

Edited to say "i wonder how many they kill without you ever knowing about it"

Yeah i agree mate luckily he didnt push upto it it was an extremly large place and he dropped in killed it and decided to stay for lunch,i think he was more pissed i had took his dinner of him than he thought he had done right :laugh: i can only hope he wont do it again or ill beat the shite out of him with a rabbit cadver :laugh::thumbs:

Had a little black dog years ago,hell of a dog to dig to,hard as nails for his size,but he had 1 draw back,if there was rabbit in the earth he would try dig to it,happened a couple of times then we started using another dog to mark the earths and everything was fine,you remember him busterdog,TODD.