Heater for Terrier sizes kennel

Been looking to fit a heater into the pups kennel as he,s on his own, has anyone used the 300mm long, 60 watt bar heaters that Tool Station sell, they,r only £15, didnt know wether to fit it in his kennel box with a gaurd over it or fit it under the kennel box as the kennel,s sat on a wooden box off the floor, and let the heat rise up through the floor [may need to drill holes in the floor] iam going to wire it through a frost stat so its only on when the temp gets to approx freezing, any addvice would be welcome, as i,d like to get it right the first time. cheers all.

Edited by buster gonads

make a wooden gard box for it and drill some holes in it

Thats why i thought about putting it under the floor so it doesnt need a guard, dont want the dog chewing or laying against it, do they get hot enough to scortch timber, i made the kennel out of 22mm marine ply kindly donated via a very large Tesco coming soon sign :thumbs: . Edited by buster gonads

Terriers dont need heating of any sort mate .Not saying this to appear hard or big up my dogs but they just dont need it honestly .What they do need is dry draught proof kennels with plenty of bedding whether alone or doubled up .Put heating in and you upset the dogs natural ability to keep warm .The only time a dog does need warmth is after a severe beating or a very hard dig where the cold has set in but thats another story all together.In very cold weather the entrance to the kennel can be covered with hessian ,drawing pinned to the top, and the dog will learn to push it aside .The dogs water should be changed daily in cold weather if only to tap out the ice .Dogs still need water even in freezing conditions .Please take this advice as you WILL benefit in the long run .

cheers FD

Just do want u thinks best bud it's people to there own

I am thinking along the lines of fitting one but only turning it on when the forcast is rearly bad, iam a self employed gas fitter so the colder it gets the buisy,er i get which doesnt help the dog much, i would,nt have liked to leave a dog out in the weather we had this time last winter, hopfully next year he,ll be coming to work with me.

im in the same boat, i have 18 x 18 x 24 inch boxes with single dogs in, ive bought a couple of 1ft tube heaters for it but im dubious about using it, if my dogs get smasehed up they sleep in the kitchen but i think a tube heater in a box that size would be over kill and also making a wooden surround to box them in seems silly, i dont want a fire!!