ferret bitting the hand that feeds them

Guest Ditch_Shitter

First off mate; Let an experianced mate try it. It sounds unlikely but ye may have just entered a cycle on unconcious hesitation which will mean ye can practically never get on with that particular ferret. Someone experianced and easy with the critter may prove it sound. I've had mates bitten by ferrets and have found them to be puppies with me.

Or, ye may have been palmed off with someone elses albert. I've always proscribed the 'Ark Approach' to a neglected and thus f*cked up in the head ferret such as that. (2x2)

Of course, ye may now expect the usual; Shove ye knuckle down it's throat. Use gloves. Mustard even! 'It Can be saved!' Plummers legacy lives on in such words :rolleyes:

Tip; First person to post on here, suggesting ye do this, that or the other with it ~ apart from humanely despatch the wretched thing ~ ensure they also PM ye their address. So ye can send the thing to them and let Them sort it out.

A good few on my stinkers were nasty biters when I got 'em. Had one in particular that would bide his time and then strike like a fecking snake. Put his tooth right through my thumbnail. :cry:

I persevered with him though, took a good few weeks but I am ever so glad that I did. He's now trustworthy [seeks me out and follows me around when I let them out each day] and is deadly on the bunnies. Wouldn't be without him.

Like as not your new ferret may not have been socialized by the previous owner. Could have been mistreated. Either way, give salvaging him a shot.

I used to sit with my hob on my lap and hand fed him chicken necks, holding onto one end. He was so interested in the food that he would simply 'forget' to bite and after a while associated me with gifts of meat and didn't want to bite. Worked a treat.

Ditchy, I usually agree with most of what you say. Can't say that I do this time though. Plenty of neglected and mistreated ferrets can be and are saved. And can go on to make their owner's time well worth the effort. :yes:

i got a ferret the other day off a lad how can i stop it biteing me i can pick it up sometimes but times it locks on to me to the bone and won't let go.sore job :wallbash:

post it to me! i'll have it! i like a challenge, i've yet to meet the biter i couldn't sort out :good:

sounds like you've been given the thing cos the lad had had enough of getting bitten himself.

work with it mate, and if and when it pulls itself together you may just have a mighty fine ferret.mine bit like mad until i picked her up around the neck and supporting her underneath with the other hand,move your finger and thumb gently up there neck until near there head and they cannot get you ;) then calm them down by stroking them and they soon tame down you will see :thumbs-up:

I would rehome it to someone with abit more experiance if possible. I only got my first ferrets around a year ago, and one was a complete and utter b*****d. I was to inexperianced to even know what to do, I tried re homing but nobody I new wanted her so she had to go to the rabbit warren in the sky :(

Then try and get some friendly ferrets that you can handle and learn about, thats what I done and my 2 are great now, they both get handled every day and have a run in the shed or bedroom :sick: I definitly wont be accepting anyones cast offs anymore, its not worth it.

H&J :good:

Did you say how old your ferret is mate?.I've always tried to have puppies in mind when handling mine as youngsters,they are carnivores who live and die by their wits and their teeth so they need to know their own strength and find this out by testing them out occasionally i reckon.

If he's been passed on to you because he's been badly treated or not handled from early days you may have bitten off more than you can chew though!

Good luck. Mooster.