Lamping Fox With Shotgun?

Lads what are your views on lamping fox with a 12 bore? do any of you do so? what rages are you getting them in before pulling the trigger?

One of my permissions is close to houses so cant use the rifle but ok for the shotgun.

I have some mini mags 40g size 3 which i was proposing to use in my semi auto with 3/4 choke

i have taken fox of this permission during the day flushed to gun with 32g size 6 but this was only 10-15 foot or so

cheers

Wez

A few people take a shotgun and rifle when lamping Foxes, to use when the Fox comes in very close, but I'm not sure how many use only a shotgun, and I think over time you'd get a lot of frustration when charlie stops just tantalisingly out of range.

I know there's a lot of people who frown on it, but I personally use .22 for situations close to houses. Used with night vision, I find it perfect for 'delicate' situations where not all the locals would be happy to know that foxes were being controlled, and even though ranges have to be kept sensible, you still have more reach than a shotgun.

Lads what are your views on lamping fox with a 12 bore? do any of you do so? what rages are you getting them in before pulling the trigger?

One of my permissions is close to houses so cant use the rifle but ok for the shotgun.

I have some mini mags 40g size 3 which i was proposing to use in my semi auto with 3/4 choke

i have taken fox of this permission during the day flushed to gun with 32g size 6 but this was only 10-15 foot or so

cheers

Wez

My mate only uses SxS shotgun this past 18 years. I've used my semi auto a few times.

Best tip, pick a dark, windy night. Calm, bright/frosty night is a waste of time.

We have 40 yards as a general guideline and use 36gm BB's.

Fox should be side on to you when you shoot (easier to get pellets into the vitals), or looking at you. Don't shoot at him when he's going away from you.

BE QUIET! Get rid of loose change, keys, rustling clothes, squeaky boots, rattling zips etc. Walk quietly, and have patience.

If you spot your fox and are sneaking towards him, stop if he looks at you and don't blind him with the light, use the halo of the beam until you're ready to shoot.

I like to use my EagleTac torch when using the shotgun, plenty of range and duration for spotting and shooting and I don't need to bring a battery and lamp.

We tend not to mount lights or lamps on the shotguns, instead holding the shotgun in the right hand (if you're right handed) and the light in the left. When it comes time for the shot just rest the forend of the shotgun on your left forearm and line up the light and shotgun, it's easier and quicker than it sounds and there's no messing with switching on or clipping on lights or lamps.

One trick I've used with my electronic caller is when there's a fox coming in to the call I leave my caller on the ground and make my way with the wind to where I think the fox will circle the caller trying to get the scent. This considerably reduces the range and the fox will help you to do so, just shoot him when in range.

Oh yeah, if you're used to rifle shooting, if shooting at a moving fox REMEMBER to keep swinging the shotgun through the fox, or you might end up hitting him in the rear which has happened me once or twice.

Always be ready to put another barrel into him if he so much as twitches after the first one.

With anything fox related, your success will improve when you know the reular fox paths, where they are likely to come from and where they are likely going, if you can get on or near their path in between those two points they'll come right to ya.

• Like 5

Hia matey. The shotgun if perfect for fox control in the right hands. Me and my mate have been lamping the foxes hard this year, i take my .22rf and he takes his Winchester SX3 Semi auto 3 1/2" chamber, 30inch barrel with three quarter choke, he uses a cartridge made by fiochii (63gram of 0's) and tell you what, its devastating. He will lamp and i will shoot a fox if its not in his range but we have had a few gallopers and he passes me the lamp and i lamp for him while he takes the fox. We have been doing this recently and so far it has had us 54 foxes, a very good number i think and we have found it hard to beat.

The best nights we've had are pissing down with rain and dark ones. Not sure why but they seem to come into the call better in these conditions. !

Good luck with the fox mate, and you will learn a great amount from using the shotgun for fox control

• Like 1

I used a shotty a year or two ago when I was let down by a mate who didn't turn up, (rifleman). I was with a guy who had flown in from Sweden that day and wanted to take him lamping, so I ended up taking my 12 bore. Christ, we spotted a fox with its head down near the farm and managed to get real close before it started to move, it was eating a rat...too late, I whacked it from about 30 yds with a Hulmax BB. As always, distance is hard to judge at night.

We used to get very good results off the side of a quad chasing any that wouldnt sit for the rifle but its not for the faint hearted as riding side saddle can be a bit dodgey at speed i can tell you .A semi auto has always been my weapon of choice purely for for the extra round .On foot dont be afraid to move to intercept a fox trying to play the wind card .Personally had two left and rights at the game but speed is of the essence .