Parralax adj

If you can get a decent scope paralax free out to 300, like some of the S & B amongst others, then that would be the ideal for hunting with CF, however for close up work i.e. sub 50, they often dont focus close enough.

So its what you prefer and need. I have recently bought a side focus scope for the hmr, which is great for close and distance work, but I would rather not have to adjust at all, especially when you have a fast critical shot to take, at an unexpected distance, and the side focus wheel is set at the wrong distance.

For me imo, it is a little bit of horses for courses.

• Like 2

love them with for day time lets you know for sure you have no issues.if i am shooting at night my hmr is set to 100 as is my .204 you still wont miss a fox at 200 or a rabbit at 50 or 150 its only fine tuning after all as long as you don't set it to infinity and try shooting at 50 yds.i was not aware you could get parralax free to 300 yds i have learnt something.i thought it became an issue over 10x mag.i am very familiar with my rifles so tend to put my head pretty much in the same place wich helps if it was a new stock you might have more problems.

• Like 2

love them with for day time lets you know for sure you have no issues.if i am shooting at night my hmr is set to 100 as is my .204 you still wont miss a fox at 200 or a rabbit at 50 or 150 its only fine tuning after all as long as you don't set it to infinity and try shooting at 50 yds.i was not aware you could get parralax free to 300 yds i have learnt something.i thought it became an issue over 10x mag.i am very familiar with my rifles so tend to put my head pretty much in the same place wich helps if it was a new stock you might have more problems.

Totally agree Mike. I have just changed from a non adjustable focus scope to an adjustable one, mainly for the greater magnification, and at the moment I find having to adjust the focus is a pain I could do without, although the extra magnification is excellent.

The point you raise about correct head position on the stock is also spot on. On the old S & B 3-12 x 50 with no parallax drum, I would use this out to 900m+ without any problem, and with the newer models fitted with parallax adjustment, the accuracy is no different, because of still placing the cheek in exactly the same position each time.

What the new scope does is allow me to focus the objective, at distances as low as 50 with ease.

Because of the quality of the glass though, it is easy to forget to adjust the parralax drum at other distances, because everything always looks in focus. Something that a cheaper scope will not let you do.

The S and B is not fitted to hmr, just in case you wondered!!!!

• Like 1

hate p/a, it's a real bind for me, i have one on my 6.5 but that's a deer rifle, i just sit up and wait for them to come to me, i have a vx3 and a redfield on my rimmies, much easier to find the target without having to adjust anything, i've found that for closer work turning the mag down helps with focus issues, i don't need 10 mag for 50 yd bunnies :victory:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...