tail docking

To do it legally you need to find a vet that will still do them.

What breeds of dog are exempted from the docking ban in England and Wales, and may continue to be docked legally?

The breeds in which docking may continue in England and Wales include Spaniels, Terriers and Hunt Point Retrieve breeds, providing they will be used to work and the veterinary surgeon is provided with the appropriate evidence of this

So your terriers can still be legally docked. You need to take photographic proof of your identity and a letter from your local shoot saying you dog is a working dog on the shoot. You will also be required to have the pups microchipped (I think this is supposed to be done at the same time as the docking - but really a pup this young is much too young to be chipped).

To do it legally you need to find a vet that will still do them.
What breeds of dog are exempted from the docking ban in England and Wales, and may continue to be docked legally?

The breeds in which docking may continue in England and Wales include Spaniels, Terriers and Hunt Point Retrieve breeds, providing they will be used to work and the veterinary surgeon is provided with the appropriate evidence of this

So your terriers can still be legally docked. You need to take photographic proof of your identity and a letter from your local shoot saying you dog is a working dog on the shoot. You will also be required to have the pups microchipped (I think this is supposed to be done at the same time as the docking - but really a pup this young is much too young to be chipped).

i dont think the micro chipping has been passed yet because of the age mate was on a micro chipping course last week

i dont think the micro chipping has been passed yet because of the age mate was on a micro chipping course last week

Mmm maybe not just yet - just had another look at an e-mail I sent to the kennel club about this - along with their reply :-

Tail docking on working cocker spaniels.

Could you please clarify exactly what is required when pups (from working cockers) will be taken for tail docking at a vets.

I have had my pups done @ 7 weeks ago, so no problems there, but at the time I asked my vet about tail docking in the future - he said I would have to bring photographic proof of my identity, a letter from my local shoot saying my dogs worked on the shoot - no problem with either of these, but would like confirmation that they are actually required.

Finally he said I would also have to have the pups microchipped at the time of docking, which is usually at 3 days old. Whilst I have no issues with the microchipping I recall @ 2 years ago I took 4 of my dogs to get chipped - the youngest was only 13 weeks old at the time & I was informed then that any pup under 12 weeks could not be chipped (Petlog were doing a chipping promotion locally). So the query is, that if then the pup could not be chipped until it is 12 weeks old how can my vet say it has to be chipped at 3 days old & is he correct in saying the pup has to be chipped ?

Regards,

Russ

Dear Russ

Everything that your vet has told you is correct. It would also be worth talking to him about the risks associated of getting puppies chipped at such a young age - but unfortunately the new law will require this.

Kind regards

And just to add an extra note to this - I took my 10 week old pup for her second jab last friday & enquired about getting her chipped at some time & even though they would do it now they preferred I wait until the pup is @ 6 months old.

THE MICRO CHIPPING AS TO BE DONE AT AROUND 12 WKS

YOU HAVE TO TAKE YOUR PAPER WORK YOU HAVE OFF THE BREEDER

OF WHICH VET DOCKED THEM AND THEN THEY WILL CHIPPED BY YOUR

OWN VET. THIS WILL CAUSE ALOT OF UPEVIL JUST MY OPPION

ALSO KC SAYS THEY WILL NOT REGISTER LITTERS WITHOUT

THIS PAPERWORK FROM THE VET

HOW DO YOU NOW IF YOUR PUPS ARE GOING TO WOKING OR PET HOMES

AT 2/3 DAYS OLD :censored:

Mmm maybe not just yet - just had another look at an e-mail I sent to the kennel club about this - along with their reply :-

Tail docking on working cocker spaniels.

Could you please clarify exactly what is required when pups (from working cockers) will be taken for tail docking at a vets.

I have had my pups done @ 7 weeks ago, so no problems there, but at the time I asked my vet about tail docking in the future - he said I would have to bring photographic proof of my identity, a letter from my local shoot saying my dogs worked on the shoot - no problem with either of these, but would like confirmation that they are actually required.

Finally he said I would also have to have the pups microchipped at the time of docking, which is usually at 3 days old. Whilst I have no issues with the microchipping I recall @ 2 years ago I took 4 of my dogs to get chipped - the youngest was only 13 weeks old at the time & I was informed then that any pup under 12 weeks could not be chipped (Petlog were doing a chipping promotion locally). So the query is, that if then the pup could not be chipped until it is 12 weeks old how can my vet say it has to be chipped at 3 days old & is he correct in saying the pup has to be chipped ?

Regards,

Russ

Dear Russ

Everything that your vet has told you is correct. It would also be worth talking to him about the risks associated of getting puppies chipped at such a young age - but unfortunately the new law will require this.

Kind regards

And just to add an extra note to this - I took my 10 week old pup for her second jab last friday & enquired about getting her chipped at some time & even though they would do it now they preferred I wait until the pup is @ 6 months old.

this is the problem russ one says one thing and the other says another but the vet that i was with was telling me how this is a big problem the chip is small but to big for three day old pups .if things were left alone it would be so much easier but there is always some one wanting to feck things up all the best rye

THE MICRO CHIPPING AS TO BE DONE AT AROUND 12 WKS

YOU HAVE TO TAKE YOUR PAPER WORK YOU HAVE OFF THE BREEDER

OF WHICH VET DOCKED THEM AND THEN THEY WILL CHIPPED BY YOUR

OWN VET. THIS WILL CAUSE ALOT OF UPEVIL JUST MY OPPION

ALSO KC SAYS THEY WILL NOT REGISTER LITTERS WITHOUT

THIS PAPERWORK FROM THE VET

HOW DO YOU NOW IF YOUR PUPS ARE GOING TO WOKING OR PET HOMES

AT 2/3 DAYS OLD :censored:

its all crap samba thay just want to make thing as difficult as thay can ;)

newish member asking about tail docking after laws just came into force ????????????? maybe my suspicious mind ??????????? if i,m wrong i,m sorry but we,ve got to be more careful up here in gods own country scotland as weve been shafted again and again by english laws :censored::censored::censored:

newish member asking about tail docking after laws just came into force ????????????? maybe my suspicious mind ??????????? if i,m wrong i,m sorry but we,ve got to be more careful up here in gods own country scotland as weve been shafted again and again by english laws :censored::censored::censored:

I think it was law in Scotland before it was law in England :blink:

I HAVE JUST RANG THE KENNEL CLUB AND THE LADY SAID

IF YOUR COCKERS DONT HAVE THE PAPER WORK THEN THEY WONT

BE REGISTED ONLY IF THE TAILS ARE LEFT

IF YOU HAVE THE PAPER WORK THAT A VET AS DONE THEM

FOR WORKING PURPOSES THEN YES

ALL THIS IS COMING IN TOMORROW SHE SAID

WHAT A CARRY ON :no:

I HAVE JUST RANG THE KENNEL CLUB AND THE LADY SAID

IF YOUR COCKERS DONT HAVE THE PAPER WORK THEN THEY WONT

BE REGISTED ONLY IF THE TAILS ARE LEFT

IF YOU HAVE THE PAPER WORK THAT A VET AS DONE THEM