Cheapest re-loading materials in the UK

Up until now i have just been buying my powders bullets primers etc from up in Shetland, but im looking to upgrade some of my Presses etc.

I did recently buy some stuff from MidwayUK but thought it was fairly expensive. So what is in everyones eyes the best cheapest place to go for all your reloading needs?

Cheers

Liam

To be honest, there isn't any.

Bottom line is that it can be cheaper to buy factory rounds than reload and will take a long time to recoup your equipment costs. Cheap reloading equipment will equate to cheap tools which in turn can only effect the quality of the ammunition you produce. You will not find a master crafts man buying a 25p screwdriver or a top class engineer buying a 5p 13mm spanner.

I guess it's fortunate that we don't really reload for cheapness as apposed to quality.

My advice is to upgrade slowly, keeping your eyes out for second hand quality presses and scales.

John

Up until now i have just been buying my powders bullets primers etc from up in Shetland, but im looking to upgrade some of my Presses etc.

I did recently buy some stuff from MidwayUK but thought it was fairly expensive. So what is in everyones eyes the best cheapest place to go for all your reloading needs?

Cheers

Liam

try http://www.reloadingsolutions.com/ I have found them to be very good midway are expensive and their p+p prices are ridiculous. good advice from hunter zero :thumbs:

I agree with Dan, reloading solutions is a great shop, I've never seen so many bullets in my life! They have pretty much anything and everything you could ever want for reloading, and their prices are reasonable. Your main problem for reloading hunting rounds will be getting the bullets, as they can't post out section 5 ammunition. The only way to do it would be for you to get them to send to your local RFD, which might well make things very costly.

As someone said above, cost isn't a good reason to get into reloading any more, especially if you are lucky and your rifle likes prvi, but if what you're after is the best possible accuracy, consistency and a hobby that will give you endless hours of enjoyment (granted frustration in equal measure, but that's half the fun) then go for it. If you are doing it to save yourself money then, unless you shoot a LOT of ammunition, then the startup costs will take a long time to recoup, even at second hand prices. As you are remote, reloading might be a useful way to ensure your ammunition supply, especially if you get really smart and start making your own bullets. A lot of the americans swage their own brass jacketed rounds using old .22LR cases to give them a jacketed lead round, so you can make all the components you need with the exception of powders and primers.

Ive already been reloading for 2 years, and i can see a massive change in price off factory round to my reloads and also accuracy is 10x better than factory. I only work with Lee presses at the moment i just thought i may buy some better quality stuff at some point but until it fails il just stick with it.

I think what makes midway so expensive is that what ever you buy is coming from the states in the first place. They dont keep a warehouse full of products in the UK. I only noticed this when i went to go track the order then parcel force had nothing on there system purely beacuse the item was never in the UK at that time.