training young lurcher pup

i will be getting a 7 week old lurcher pup in about 2 weeks and was wondering wat sort of training i should start wit it at 7 weeks or do i just let it get used to me first and start training [bANNED TEXT] a little older. its bred from father deer/grey and mother is colliegrey/beddygrey if that will make a differance to training. thanks dan

best advice i was given when i got my first pup was to get a dvd called prudeys progress. that will point you in the right direction for training.

i just got a 6 week old pup yesterday and to be honest training is the last thing on my mind for a while. i just want him to stop crying lol. then ill start house training him and general play which my include a tiny bit of retrial as the weeks go on. but most of all im gunner let him be a pup for quite a while yet.

Preparing their food out of sight then calling them to it, getting them to sit and wait before eating their meals, games involving fetching things (squeaky toys, balled up socks etc) are all good foundations for training when their older but mainly it's just a case of have fun with the pup and enjoy being together. :good:

• Like 1

I would recommend the dvd purdys progress aswell but its not easy to get hold of unless ya wanna pay top dollar online. another suggestion is a book by frank sheardown (well 2. but either will do ya) The Working Longdog or Lurcher Training. fairly easy to find and a far cry kinder on the wallet. ive just used The Working Longdog to train my 1st lurcher pup. 14 week old tomorrow. now has a decent recall just needs a bit of work when theres a distraction around, and got her retrieving the rabbit dummy and dropping it straight in my hand. It does say to not over do it though as they can easily lose interest. I couldnt vouch for it but i suppose it does make sense. and reading that from an experienced trainer i wouldnt want to risk doing the opposite. Anyway mate good luck with the pup and keep us updated :)

And also best advice comes from BullMastiff above. Such a young pup mate id spend time bonding n gaining his/her trust first. Best of luck

Edited by Dan0389

whats your opinions on letting the pup into the house , some people say no way as they get spoilt and others dont think it makes a differance

to be honest mate ive never let a dog in the house,why would you want to?they smell ,piss and shit keep it outside were it is meant to be.if you dont keep a dog in your own house and you go into a house with a dog or even worse dogs it would turn your stomach.but hey it dont bother millions from keeping them indoors. :bad: :bad: :bad: :bad: :bad:

i,ve no problem with keeping a dog in the house at all but i just wouldnt like it to effect its hunting ability

all mine live in doors. to many thieving c**ts about to leave them out side anyway.

spot on there jenky lad......my two are under lock and key when im out and close by when im home too.... far too many dodgepots sniffing about lately.......mines no bother at all indoors they just kip all day,dont know theyre here half the time....