Difficult Ground

I have just got myself some permission on ground that in my opinion is pretty difficult to shoot on. The main quarry is geese and they are never off the ground. Trouble is the ground consists of a single hill and it is surrounded on 3 sides by council houses, a school, a main road and the owners house. I have so far taken two geese from this ground but l have to admit l am not too keen shooting on the ground as it is pretty difficult finding a location where l can take a safe shot without being seen by my quarry as well as the fact the the ground is still unfamiliar to me.

What do you guys do in these kinda situations and how would you's go about building confidence shooting on the ground. I'm thinking of taking a camera with me and photographing it from different angles etc. to get an idea of safe places to shoot from as well as any points of interest that might aid me.

cheers Callum

If ther is a good point where to shoot from but looks a bit dicey,would it be worth putting a cheap high seat in somewhere. We have the same problem with some land we've got ,flat as a pancake ,but now ok with high seats ,we even use a mobile one we can hitch on to a tow bar ..........just a thought :thumbs: .

pipcock

If ther is a good point where to shoot from but looks a bit dicey,would it be worth putting a cheap high seat in somewhere. We have the same problem with some land we've got ,flat as a pancake ,but now ok with high seats ,we even use a mobile one we can hitch on to a tow bar ..........just a thought :thumbs: .

pipcock

Only problem there mate is that geese are like crows in that they keep a sentry bird and fly off at the first sign of danger so a high seat wouldn't be very practical as there are no trees to camouflage it and l doubt a hide would work either cos we get storms nearly once a week thus l couldn't leave it out for the geese to get used to without it blowing away beforehand. Thanks for the idea though. :thumbs:

cheers Callum

Could you do something like this there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIif9MuTyW0

That video was awesome but fortunately they're not quiet at these proportions yet but they will be in the next few years if something isn't done about them. The Scottish environment minister who l have heard is ex lacs has set-up a goose scaring scheme to scare them from place to place which just doesn't address the problem but avoids it.

The ground is also pretty boggy so not only would there be a good chance of the hide filling up with water but l'd also be running the risk of getting bored through lack of action :laugh:. But the video has made me think that a shotgun might be the way to go with this ground so l should probably get me sg certificate forms filled in asap.

thanks Callum

Set up a hide and use markers for safe lines of fire, set your arcs of fire and get in before daylight,,,, reccy it a couple of times youll find the safe lines

I have been on the permission a few times now and I'm learning more about it every time I'm on it. The first goose was shot after l had used an old perimeter wall that l did not know existed before to crawl behind to get a decent angle in which to take a safe shot at it. I think going there in daylight and setting up markers as you said is the best way to go but l think instead of a hide l will mark out some shooting spots, two of which l have already identified from the two locations the geese were in shot in. This really is a new experience for me this croft as lm more confident on wide open spaces but this croft being surrounded on 3 sides by houses/school makes everything a little more nerve racking!

cheers Callum

This is what you need and a moderated shotty.

http://www.averyoutd...ator_blind.html

http://www.averyoutd...sher_blind.html

That looks wicked might buy one of them when l go for my shotty license

for gods sake don't do what the Americans do and just throw lead in the air. :gunsmilie:

No chance of that when there are council houses, a school, a road and the owners house on 3 sides of the permission so can't be having no "friendly fire" incidents lol