fao cookland deerhounds

personally i would not dream of dropping one on the back of a long ear till its second season ,age well this could differ on the time of the yr the animal was welped .MATURITY can take awhile my hunting pal has a f1 now 2yr old bitch ,size wise raight enough 25 half still acting like six mth old ,but we not to bothered shell come good that i have no doubt .FOR SOMEONE TO DISCARD ONE AT A MERE 12MTHS WELL begs believing ,unless of course there was other contributing factors ,What i would say about any person wishing to try the f1 dg slowly slowly theres no rush ,when learning a trade my opld dar aleways quoted larn the job the speed will come naturally .atb bunnys.

Ment to say, the odd run at a hare on the correct land wont hurt I find, Its other things that do more damage!

Im not talking a 100 yard slip at boston, but a 12 month old deerhound greyhound can account for a hare on the lamp (easier method I.m.o) or somewhere in the day were the young pup is safe from getting pulled about for 3 fields.

Edited by baldockbanks courser
  • Like 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does it really matter what the parents are like for catching....how many bull terriers, collies etc can actually catch a hare; and people still use these..

I bought Doxhope Knight Errant (sire) doxhope Justine (dam) in 2001 and 2002. i bred a litter in 2007 and kept 4 for myself 2 dogs and 2 bitches and sold one to a good friend from Derby called Dave Rh

if you brought a dog of him last year and he didnt last long theres your answer.! you run them earlie and broke them? Me and my brother got 1 f1 each both cookland 11 and 14 month they might end up

I have first cross, not out of this breeding but, at 18 months this is his first season, @ 28tts looks big mature dog but still has a few puppy traits about him. Lifted a few rabbits an a long ear, he Is coming on really well, but I will not start him on anything more challenging until well over 2yrs , IMO these dogs need alot of bringing on and the more easy catches you give them to build confidence the better they are. I think deerhound is a fantastic mix for working lurcher, they are a well mannered all round sound dog. But I suppose it's all about the time ur willing to put into them. Atb

• Like 1

I've got an f1 bitch out of a Doxhope dog an a Greyhound bitch; she's over two year old.but STILL very immature. Don't get me wrong, she is running and catching, but is nowhere near what my Beddy X was at that age ! Big dogs like these need a lot of time and patience to mature and come on; far to many are ruined by rushing them.

Cheers.

when this 1st started he was asked for a pure deerhound ,yes we all know that the ban may have hindered the working dog a little but the lines of which he wants off trev is 2nd to non look what he has in possession(all doxhope stuff ,BILL has lived, breathed, ran and bred this line for years and years )

give credit where credits due as half of you wankers have nt got a clue whats been put into this lineage aand its your fault that the dog has FAILED,

ive asked bill and trev about the 1st x and bill agrees they may not be the best lurcher in the world and some do need time but he has raced them early with bunnys and long ears pre ban

ive seen pics of his dogs and the catches both pures and x's

its what you put into the dog and if you waste it theres no one else to blame bar yourself,

• Like 2

when this 1st started he was asked for a pure deerhound ,yes we all know that the ban may have hindered the working dog a little but the lines of which he wants off trev is 2nd to non look what he has in possession(all doxhope stuff ,BILL has lived, breathed, ran and bred this line for years and years )

give credit where credits due as half of you wankers have nt got a clue whats been put into this lineage aand its your fault that the dog has FAILED,

ive asked bill and trev about the 1st x and bill agrees they may not be the best lurcher in the world and some do need time but he has raced them early with bunnys and long ears pre ban

its what you put into the dog and if you waste it theres no one else to blame bar yourself,

ERR..... That's not the cleverest,calling people "wankers", just for replying to a post ! I can assure you I have not failed with my Deer/Grey X, in fact she is turning out to be a very decent dog at what she was brought in for !! I'd advise you to get a bit more knowledge about the breed before slagging people off !!

Cheers.

The words irony, kettle and pot all spring to mind...............

im not on about you chart its the lads or others who comments on the breed failing ,im in the same boat im a 1st x owner cookland /doxhope stuff ,i just get annoyed at what people think about this x especially when there pups and the quote it never lasted long it bugs me to death

i love my 11 mth old bitch had her out 4 times and did 6 rabbits 2 -3 runs a night once or twice a week get them going a little (its not rocket science)

the last run she did she ran it up and down a wire fence the bunny escaped she jumped over ran picked it and jumped back over with it in her mouth to hand

i was well chuffed with her but then she missed an easy one so patience and time is all they should be allowed not all dogs and breeds are the same so you know when its right to enter and step it up a little but some people dont know the arse from the elbow and no wonder dogs get passed on

ps sorry for upsetting you it was nt for you and the genuine lads on here

Edited by gibbo1973
  • Like 2

im not on about you chart its the lads or others who comments on the breed failing ,im in the same boat im a 1st x owner cookland /doxhope stuff ,i just get annoyed at what people think about this x especially when there pups and the quote it never lasted long it bugs me to death

i love my 11 mth old bith had her out 4 times and did 6 rabbits 2 -3 runs a night once or twice a week get them going a little (its not rocket science)

the last run she did she ran it up and down a wire fence the bunny escaped she jumped over ran picked it and jumped back over with it in her mouth to hand

i was well chuffed with her but then she missed an easy one so patience and time is all they should be allowed not all dogs and breeds are the same so you know when its right to enter and stepit up a little but some people dont know the arse from the elbow and no wonder dogs get passed on

ps sorry for upsetting you it was nt for you and the genuine lads on here

Didn't upset me mate, I may have read your post wrong, My Deer X bitch is big....29" but she still lamps and takes rabbits . But she is doing EXACTLY what she was bred for and what I got her for. If people don't want these dogs, then there is pleanty of other Lurcher pups around for them ! So they shouldn't knock what other people want.

Cheers.

yeh your right on the right land and entered properly i bet these take some beating ,i cant wait for her to be ready think she'll do it for me fingers x'd

glad shes doing well for you what type of country do you run on ,ive small and big field s mostly arable but some pacey grass feilds socant wait have some moor but not worked my old dog on this but they reckon its good sport for the deerhounds ?

yeh your right on the right land and entered properly i bet these take some beating ,i cant wait for her to be ready think she'll do it for me fingers x'd

glad shes doing well for you what type of country do you run on ,ive small and big field s mostly arable but some pacey grass feilds socant wait have some moor but not worked my old dog on this but they reckon its good sport for the deerhounds ?

Gibbo, I take my dogs all over the country, I run them up Northumberland and down to Yorkshire,and Lincolnshire, these days it's all a bit fun for me....... watch the dogs run, have a good time ! Best of luck with what you do !!

Cheers.

ERR..... That's not the cleverest,calling people "wankers", just for replying to a post ! I can assure you I have not failed with my Deer/Grey X, in fact she is turning out to be a very decent dog at what she was brought in for !! I'd advise you to get a bit more knowledge about the breed before slagging people off !!

Cheers.

Iv seen the e mails trom bill doherty that were sent to gibbo, hes only quoting what was said about not wrapping them up in cotton wall between 1 - 2 year old regarding rabbit and hare.

so chart you are saying you know more about 1st x deerhounds than the man who breed doxhope ?

reason im on this late is iv been lamping with real dogs instead of playing on a computer and being the authority on the deerhound greyhound.

good night.

what bugs me is an englishman spouting on about a feching scots dog youse want to get a grip got freinds who have deerhoundy types they are doing very well, but they dont spout of on comp as well its not in there intrest if the people who bought deerhoun type had the balls to work them [bANNED TEXT] instead of going to a show they would not long find out wheat from chaff then they could breed good to good there a man in the border are of berwick got a nice deerhondy type strong head 28 strong bone not heavy muscled like a stag i would be chapping his door to further the breed

why do youse defend the deerhound as you no most are not worth a carrot ,for allround hunting and only there only afew thta are bred [bANNED TEXT] to perform ,was brought up with the deerhoundy collie type years ago but we never bickers about them we ran them hard as it was lifting with hares they done well ,a good dog only ned to be 25 to 27 in this country the minute you get bigger your qaurry starts getting more limited at times ,30 inch lump is not the best ,unless you have the land to run them ,i know alot of people like the deerhound type but i wouldnt defend them ules they were doing the nesasary in the same league as good saluks, collie types ,the staghound is an awsome beast in the usa hopefully the deerhoun lurcher can do the same ,i phoned bill doherty 1994 for a bitch 25 inches ,but got a first cross saluk cross of sniper ,but i wish i had got her ,to breed int the saluk types would had good game catchers , youse seem to be putting the looks of a dog before worrking ability at times