first x bedlington whippets

hi , i now there was a similar thread done the other day but i would like to here from some ownwers of first x bedlington whippets please.

im planning on getting anouther dog next year and am still vary undecided as to what im going to get , i want a dog for working cover and flushing bunnies to my lurcher, and really want a spaniel so that brings me 2,

i cant decide if i am going to get a straight terrier or a bedlington whippet , now i dont want the dog going to ground when im out bushing which i now is always a risk with a terrier so would like to now from those that own and work this bread how it works cover as i have seen many say that they do ,

do they enter cover readily when out mouching , will they enter vary thick cover like gorse branble etc, do they pick they way thro the cover or just bulldoze thro it , do they open up and bark when on to sumit in cover , and lastly do you find them any use in in more open areas and ferreting etc

im thinking that one of these could team up well with my lurcher flushing out from cover for her and making catches its self in less thick areas and catching boulters when ferreting. and maybe even a little ratting one day

im also considering a full bedlington as what i can see at least it wount be able to go to ground as much as a smaller type terrier , squeezing down rabbit holes etc

many thanks

hi , i now there was a similar thread done the other day but i would like to here from some ownwers of first x bedlington whippets please.

im planning on getting anouther dog next year and am still vary undecided as to what im going to get , i want a dog for working cover and flushing bunnies to my lurcher, and really want a spaniel so that brings me 2,

i cant decide if i am going to get a straight terrier or a bedlington whippet , now i dont want the dog going to ground when im out bushing which i now is always a risk with a terrier so would like to now from those that own and work this bread how it works cover as i have seen many say that they do ,

do they enter cover readily when out mouching , will they enter vary thick cover like gorse branble etc, do they pick they way thro the cover or just bulldoze thro it , do they open up and bark when on to sumit in cover , and lastly do you find them any use in in more open areas and ferreting etc

im thinking that one of these could team up well with my lurcher flushing out from cover for her and making catches its self in less thick areas and catching boulters when ferreting. and maybe even a little ratting one day

im also considering a full bedlington as what i can see at least it wount be able to go to ground as much as a smaller type terrier , squeezing down rabbit holes etc

many thanks

If you,ve been looking at Bedlingtons that can,t get to ground youve been looking in the wrong place.

Weve just bred a litter of spaniel x 3/4 whippet,1/4 beddy pups for a bit of bushing/mooching about with,same as you i dont want anything that can get to ground,although i think the one ive kept would push in if it could.

The breeding might sound a bit risky to some but ive seen similar dogs that were very good bushers/scroungers years ago,and the 2 weve kept are showing all the right signs at the moment,both parents are good dogs in their own right.

I wouldnt expect a straight beddy/whippet to make a good tight cover dog? get something with spaniel/lab or maybe terrier in it mate and edge your bets.

understand what you are saying mate about dogs going to ground on fox , some of the places around here are vary sandy rabbit holes can be a bit big, and ive heard many people say they terrier will follow any rabbits to ground , and in my mind a beddi would find this a little more dificult

understand what you are saying mate about dogs going to ground on fox , some of the places around here are vary sandy rabbit holes can be a bit big, and ive heard many people say they terrier will follow any rabbits to ground , and in my mind a beddi would find this a little more dificult

Again,youve been advised incorrectly or youve been looking at the wrong Beddy,s.

didnt say cant go to ground , cant squeeze down rabbit holes like a small terrier , russel etc might

When youve done a bit of bushing the least of your worry,s will be the terrier entering to a bunny.

Same problem round here,couldnt have terriers running free these days.

My old beddy whip would work cover no problem often catching pheasants in the brambles and flushing rabbits .

He was also a good ferret dog but to small for lamp work , he was certainly a character, just wish i could turn the clocks back and do it all again

Mine will go into any cover if there's something in there, and if its a red he will throw a deaf un, he is quite fast for a first cross but can turn on a sixpence and soon as rabbits start to turn he's on em like a rash