Stayer bitch

This is a question that is hard to answer and depends on a whole number of factors, I am no expert in breeding terriers in fact I have only ever bred 1 litter in the last 10 years but I have quizzed some of the best in the game in order to try and make the litter as succesful as possible and these are some points i have gathered,

How many generations have been bred off this family of dogs and is the family producing good %s of workers? how closely is the bitch bred? too many close matings in her makeup may mean that an outcross may be benifical but saying that dont be sacred to breed 'too close' A dog that was without doubt as fine a digging dog as anyone has seen and has also produced top shelf digging dogs was bred off a brother sister mating, Also I have had pups bred off generations of grafting dogs that were absolutley useless, and had a dog bred off pets that gave me 5 seasons hard graft but If the bitch is off a line of grafters then I would try to stick to that line if I was you but I would not worry too much about work style look for a quality dog be it steady or bit hard as I have seen head bangers come out of 2 bayers and vice versa, also look at the qualitys in the makeup of the dog and bitch, if one is a streak of piss with a poor head look for a coby strong headed match for it to try and level the stamp up abit. But whatever you do dont sacrifice any working qualitys for looks qualitys too many have done this in past and look where it has got the terrier game! Put the best to the best and hope for the best and the rest is in the hands of god! :thumbs:

• Like 3

If it were me i would go for a harder type that you have reputable knowlodge of,ie,stays till dug,good finder in big places and wont get pushed about and that the dog is out of genuine good diging stuff.There is nothing wrong with a good sounder but i personally think you would be giving the pups that little bit of edge by putting something hard across the bitch.Best of luck whatever way you choose,after all luck has a lot to do with it.

• Like 1
Guest busterdog

IMO the more you know the less you understand the breeding process, as has been said 2+2 in the breeding terms doesn't equal 4, the only help i'm willing to put my name to is breeding to a line HAS helped me. That said i've seen some others go down the same route only to fail. Do whatever you think mate as no one has the answer your after, if it was that easy we'd all have just what we want.

• Like 4

IMO the more you know the less you understand the breeding process, as has been said 2+2 in the breeding terms doesn't equal 4, the only help i'm willing to put my name to is breeding to a line HAS helped me. That said i've seen some others go down the same route only to fail. Do whatever you think mate as no one has the answer your after, if it was that easy we'd all have just what we want.

Very true

This is a question that is hard to answer and depends on a whole number of factors, I am no expert in breeding terriers in fact I have only ever bred 1 litter in the last 10 years but I have quizzed some of the best in the game in order to try and make the litter as succesful as possible and these are some points i have gathered,

How many generations have been bred off this family of dogs and is the family producing good %s of workers? how closely is the bitch bred? too many close matings in her makeup may mean that an outcross may be benifical but saying that dont be sacred to breed 'too close' A dog that was without doubt as fine a digging dog as anyone has seen and has also produced top shelf digging dogs was bred off a brother sister mating, Also I have had pups bred off generations of grafting dogs that were absolutley useless, and had a dog bred off pets that gave me 5 seasons hard graft but If the bitch is off a line of grafters then I would try to stick to that line if I was you but I would not worry too much about work style look for a quality dog be it steady or bit hard as I have seen head bangers come out of 2 bayers and vice versa, also look at the qualitys in the makeup of the dog and bitch, if one is a streak of piss with a poor head look for a coby strong headed match for it to try and level the stamp up abit. But whatever you do dont sacrifice any working qualitys for looks qualitys too many have done this in past and look where it has got the terrier game! Put the best to the best and hope for the best and the rest is in the hands of god! :thumbs:

as long as there are no serious faults in the lines. i would stay within the line. your bitch sounds spot on. so someone has got something right. i would take size into account. to mant big terriers about. good luck