just founde this article, david cameron speaks about fox hunting

was browsing the web at work as ya do and came across this its a little old but just to refresh people memories,

David Cameron voiced his strongest opinion yet on his support to abolish the ban on fox hunting. Now he is Prime Minister, will he follow through with his plan to hold a free vote on decriminalising hunting with dogs. In a BBC radio interview the PM described himself as a country boy at heart who grew up shooting rabbits and fishing and made his views clear on the subject of fox hunting:

'I always thought the ban was a mistake because I think it is very difficult to enforce,'

'I think it's somewhere where the criminal law shouldn't go and the mess we have now pretty much proves that.

This is where I step in and ‘voice my opinion,’ I think hunting or fishing for that mater, if it is for food is not a bad thing when you consider how the majority of the meat on supermarket shelves is farmed and produced, I understand that some vegetarians may disagree. I do however think it is wrong to hunt down an animal for sport using a pack of dogs. Where the criminal law is concerned, does the PM think that the ban on dog fighting and keeping dangerous breeds as pets should be ‘somewhere it shouldn’t go’ along with antisocial behavior or even the trafficking of young people for use in the sex industry in his country, because ‘it is very difficult to enforce?

The PM went on to say…

‘The point is the fox population has to be controlled. Every farmer will tell you that and tell you the methods being used - in more cases gassing and shooting and trapping and snaring - are very cruel.

'The case on animal welfare grounds for the hunting ban, I've always thought was very, very weak.'

I agree with the PM that some of methods used to control the fox population are cruel but surely this is an area that needs to be looked at in more detail by the authorities - it can be improved, and as far as animal welfare is concerned, being terrified and tormented by a pack of hounds and people on horses who chase you across-country shouting and blowing horns until exhausted and cornered you are ripped apart by the dogs doesn’t sound ‘very week’ to me.

Thoughts anyone?

"FREE VOTE"

Thats the key bit of info there. It would be stupid to have a free vote in parliment on the hunting ban at this point because we would loose!

A quote I read somewhere comes to mind "if you ever find yourself in a fair fight then you didnt plan it very well". The same applies here, pro-hunting needs to have the strongest support before a vote.

• Like 1