GREYHOUND BITCH.?

Guest Frank

in general coursing bred greys are that bit tougher but apart from size and weight which after all can put the larger greyhound at more risk of injury due to more stress being placed on their skeletal structure at speed they are no different from the usually smaller , lighter bred track greyhounds, after all all track breds descend from their coursing cousins as there were no tracks in GB til i think 1926 and as the oval sport took off they schooled coursing bred dogs to the track as at the time there was no such thing as track bred dogs, mick the miller started his career in the field and in the last 15 years before the --- there has been a few track bred dogs winning the waterloo while compeating against a predominantly coursing bred field. if these track breds are inferior in any way to their coursing bred cousins how against the odds did they lift the cup, to win anything on track or field you need a dog with enough pace but imo also heart, drive , gameness, determenation and a will to win if you have a dog with these attributes be there track or coursing bred with a knowlagable trainer and a little luck (which is always needed) and usually good breeding you can win in the field, as for people stating different faults for track breds its bullshit. you get shite in e4very breed but as a whole they are sound in mind and temprement. a few lads off this site saw me run a greyhound on daytime hares and he could more than put up a good show i could run him 4 or 5 strong daytime hares in a day out with no ill effects he was track bred by greyhouind of the year droopys rhys out of ryefield snowy hard weight he was 64 lb he ran like a lurcher sticking to the back of his quarry and not overshooting on the turn like the 90 lb coursing dogs of today which are bred for pace and pace alone and imo to big to breed or use for a lurcher base. imo when using a greyhound for a lurcher base you want a bitch between 54lb and 66lb with the right attributes of breeding , conformation and willingness to hunt , course ect and a dog between 60lb and 74lb . the above is only my opinion but said through what iv seen and learnt from supporting greyhound coursing clubs and participating in daytime hare coursing to rules and freehand pre ban of course.if you could find a well bred coursing bred with the above qualities brilliant but just because its track bred dont wright them off. :yes:

Spot on mate I have tried to explain to a number of people that modern coursing greyhounds are mainly bred for straight line pace and are generally to big for the twists and turns you would expect a lurcher to handle where as most track greys are smaller and more nimble ,but I think this has shown in the past where track bred greys have won open type coursing events where the twists and turns are needed and the coursing bred greys excel in the park coursing where a straight line speed is normally enough to win a course, JMO

Edited by Chaz

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:clapper: to Maxhardcore.

I've seen a couple of ex track bitches working the field, smallish animals, about 26", lightly built, and they hunted as well as many lurchers I've seen, very quick reactions, good strikes, and of course very fast: only downside was that their determination, or tunnel vision: seen some nasty injuries when they went flat out through hedges etc. They had really good feet though.

Guest Frank
:clapper: to Maxhardcore.

I've seen a couple of ex track bitches working the field, smallish animals, about 26", lightly built, and they hunted as well as many lurchers I've seen, very quick reactions, good strikes, and of course very fast: only downside was that their determination, or tunnel vision: seen some nasty injuries when they went flat out through hedges etc. They had really good feet though.

Agree, i had a great bitch, straight off the track, back in 91, a black bitch that struck like a viper and ran like a cheeta. Unfortunately, it was the sheer determination, that got her killed :cry: , she broke her neck, coursing a hare. :(

Frank.

Guest Frank

Here is another one, what you reckon to this? Sorry for asking, but im not too up on greyhounds and i dont want to get a dud. :blink::)

http://www.greyhound-data.com/db.php?i=260075

The same man has her.

Frank.

imo frank you missed out on a good brood in clover nell, when i saw the link and saw what bitch he was offering i didnt know how fast to get on the blower to him as i was looking for a brood.she is from a very good dam line in callin dillis she threw some usefull dogs including the outstanding clover hare to vintage prince and barefoot ridge to some picture, both of these sires were slaneyside hare bred so the stud i have in mind for clover nell is premier fantasy as he carrys the slaneyside line. so im hoping she can produce some usefull dogs from this union as she ran most of her 36 races on the open circut winning 8 i believe with a few seconds and thirds. this union would also make the pups pure irish in a market prodominantly australian. incidentley i have clover nells littermate move over marie hopefully in pup to westmead hawk but i wont say to much on that account after a major dissapointment with my other brood who had to have a hysterectomy 3 weeks after getting mated to the hawk . fingers crossed this time.

:icon_eek: Shit, and they all said she was too old ect. :laugh: o well, the best of luck with her Max. :good:

Frank.