the best terrier you have ownd

Had a Lakey dog back in the early 80's that I hold in high regard. He was out of a Tyson bitch to a Cowan Dog, so for type, well bred enough. To leggy for most, he was just about spannable and with a Beddy top knot if not stripped. Didn't have the best of starts after getting hit by a car and breaking his front leg at around 9 months, when the plaster came off he just about whent everywhere with me and it's that, which I think made the difference.

I've owned a few digging dogs that were just as good as him down a hole but the fact that he could work with ferrets, was a cracking ratter (killing both brown and black) and cracking busher, agile as a cat and could fight like a b*****d if provoked, but just had a knack of being both solid, sound and reliable when working to every quarry I put him on.

I'd agree with some of the posts about dogs past and to use a Plummer quote I once read, 'Time dims memory and old dogs can look better' but though I cursed him enough for the gassy, whining little shite he was, he was so reliable back then he was only ever left behind because he was laid up. Hard as fecking nails he was never much of a sounder unless pushing on, and I broke through enough to find him taking 'enough' stick without a murmour, looking up seeing me and the light and erupting into blind fury.

i once had him out with a mate, bushing foxes near an old railway line, after a long morning he put one up and it was ran across a small field by the lurchers only to disappear down a break in a railway drain. We got over there and he pushed past the lurchers and flew in. I stuck my head in and he was back peddling, fast..! 'Fecking shithouse', I said out loud, only to see his arse stop as it came out and he was heaving like mad, I grabbed at his back legs and hauled him and a dog fox, held by its top jaw out. The lurchers grabbed it but right away he'd flew back down. I first made sure it was going to be an 'ex fox' and then ran along the drain to hear him banging right into another. We cleared away the stone and he was locked on to the throat but though we couldn't get the drain slabs up, we watched through the gaps knowing it was gonna be another dead fox. It didn't last that long, a good strangle hold on a small vixen, egged on by me from above and when he let go, instead of coming out he went past? Again I followed, then smack! Right into another dog fox, we again cleared stones but again struggled with the drain slab. This time it was a dog, and it was that nasty teeth on teeth crunch until he wrestled it over and got on top and on its throat. We pulled for all our might on that slab and eventually got it up, the fox was just on dead and he was just about to drop. The fox was dispached and brought it out for the whining lurchers, he still had hold but I knew once another dog had it he'd never join in on a rag (never did!).

He lasted the distance too, finally living to 14 with my parents, after seeing off my new neighbours cats and making a hell of a mess of the window cleaners leg, I had to choke him off up the ladder, where he'd climbed to get him!!

Oh yer, his name was Todd.

;)

good post,i enjoyed that

I agree it was a good read enjoyed it to :thumbs:

• Like 1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

probably ftb because when there alive there still working and there owners are happy enough too have a decent dog too dig too rather than blow smoke up its ass and try and make a big name for themselv

the best dog you will ever own is the first one you owened

Had a Lakey dog back in the early 80's that I hold in high regard. He was out of a Tyson bitch to a Cowan Dog, so for type, well bred enough. To leggy for most, he was just about spannable and with a

it a bummer when you loose a dog what your use to workin .and is hard two replace, and the time u wish you had your old dog back is when. your on a earth with a wanker dog. that sum nobed dog dealin c**t as told pure bull shit about. you all know who u are :chair::hunter:

Edited by turk 09
  • 1 month later...

Had a Lakey dog back in the early 80's that I hold in high regard. He was out of a Tyson bitch to a Cowan Dog, so for type, well bred enough. To leggy for most, he was just about spannable and with a Beddy top knot if not stripped. Didn't have the best of starts after getting hit by a car and breaking his front leg at around 9 months, when the plaster came off he just about whent everywhere with me and it's that, which I think made the difference.

I've owned a few digging dogs that were just as good as him down a hole but the fact that he could work with ferrets, was a cracking ratter (killing both brown and black) and cracking busher, agile as a cat and could fight like a b*****d if provoked, but just had a knack of being both solid, sound and reliable when working to every quarry I put him on.

I'd agree with some of the posts about dogs past and to use a Plummer quote I once read, 'Time dims memory and old dogs can look better' but though I cursed him enough for the gassy, whining little shite he was, he was so reliable back then he was only ever left behind because he was laid up. Hard as fecking nails he was never much of a sounder unless pushing on, and I broke through enough to find him taking 'enough' stick without a murmour, looking up seeing me and the light and erupting into blind fury.

i once had him out with a mate, bushing foxes near an old railway line, after a long morning he put one up and it was ran across a small field by the lurchers only to disappear down a break in a railway drain. We got over there and he pushed past the lurchers and flew in. I stuck my head in and he was back peddling, fast..! 'Fecking shithouse', I said out loud, only to see his arse stop as it came out and he was heaving like mad, I grabbed at his back legs and hauled him and a dog fox, held by its top jaw out. The lurchers grabbed it but right away he'd flew back down. I first made sure it was going to be an 'ex fox' and then ran along the drain to hear him banging right into another. We cleared away the stone and he was locked on to the throat but though we couldn't get the drain slabs up, we watched through the gaps knowing it was gonna be another dead fox. It didn't last that long, a good strangle hold on a small vixen, egged on by me from above and when he let go, instead of coming out he went past? Again I followed, then smack! Right into another dog fox, we again cleared stones but again struggled with the drain slab. This time it was a dog, and it was that nasty teeth on teeth crunch until he wrestled it over and got on top and on its throat. We pulled for all our might on that slab and eventually got it up, the fox was just on dead and he was just about to drop. The fox was dispached and brought it out for the whining lurchers, he still had hold but I knew once another dog had it he'd never join in on a rag (never did!).

He lasted the distance too, finally living to 14 with my parents, after seeing off my new neighbours cats and making a hell of a mess of the window cleaners leg, I had to choke him off up the ladder, where he'd climbed to get him!!

;)

Top read that pal, sounds like a great dog. Do you have or know of anyone still using the same bloodline?

;)

enjoyed that.