a question on behalf of someone else

a mate of mine phoned me today and said 2 of his hob ferrets had died over the weekend and 4 had died before that earlier in the year they were all hobs, some intact some not, different ages but they had all died the same way very fast weight loss, backends not working and drawlling. he keeps them in good conditon and good food so i said i would ask on here for him if anyone has any ideas on what might be causing this or if anyone else has had ferrets with the same symptoms. he also has 6 gills but hasnt had any problems with them. thanks for reading

Would be impossible to say. This might fit the description and explain why different ferrets died at different times? Maybe the ones that died a few months ago had heatstroke? It causes drooling and collapse.

Aleutian Disease

If he still has the dead ferts, might be worth having a post-mortem done on one, 6 ferrets is alot to lose in a few months. Hope he finds out what's killing them. Atb.

Thanks everyone ill suggest a post mortem to him which is something i would do because losing 6 ferrets is a lot. i dont think they are from same blood lines but will double check with him. the suggestion of maybe some rotten meat i think is good thinking as my first thoughts were a posion or eaten something off.

see these ilnesses that come from left/ gone off/rotten meat left in a hutch. what happened when the old way was to throw a rabbit in every couple of days and leave it until it was gone? sureley they all didnt die?

Would be impossible to say. This might fit the description and explain why different ferrets died at different times? Maybe the ones that died a few months ago had heatstroke? It causes drooling and collapse.

Aleutian Disease

If he still has the dead ferts, might be worth having a post-mortem done on one, 6 ferrets is alot to lose in a few months. Hope he finds out what's killing them. Atb.

decent little read and worth knowing on your link :thumbs:

I lost ferrets like this when I was a kid. Same symptoms. It was botulism from meat going off that they had hidden. I'm always careful to go through bedding etc after Ive fed raw meat these days. Its surprising how quick meat can get rotten. Dunno if thats whats happened to your mates but worth considering if theyre getting raw meat

a mate of mine phoned me today and said 2 of his hob ferrets had died over the weekend and 4 had died before that earlier in the year they were all hobs, some intact some not, different ages but they had all died the same way very fast weight loss, backends not working and drawlling. he keeps them in good conditon and good food so i said i would ask on here for him if anyone has any ideas on what might be causing this or if anyone else has had ferrets with the same symptoms. he also has 6 gills but hasnt had any problems with them. thanks for reading

I agree with the people who say postmortem to know for sure. Its crap when stuff like this happens, Ive just had my best working jill at the vets recently. She has puss in uterus (Never heard of it before) but it cost me just under £300. Full hysterectomy later; she is fine, vet said it was touch and go but id already agreed to a post mortem if it hadnt worked out ok. Ive got other ferrets too so its too risky not to know what the problem is. Your mate must be gutted.

Aleutian Disease

decent little read and worth knowing on your link :thumbs:

:thumbs: