New to shotguns.

Hi im currently studying at Sparsholt College, I've only used air rifles up till now and im looking at expanding to shotguns, I have got the permission for shot guns on my land. I like the looks off the under and over style shotguns, Im looking at a 12bore shotgun for pigeons, Can anyone suggest types of shotguns, My budget would be off £400

Safe Shooting

Rob

I've always been partial to pump-action shotguns, and over the years learnt to work the action as fast as a semi-auto. My Winchester 1200 pump gun has served me well over the past 20 years, and is far easier to un-jam than a semi-auto.

Edited by swamp thang

Are you going to be walking a lot or sat in a hide,,, in a hide auto or pump,,,, if walking the best side x side you can afford. Pumps and autos tend to be a bit heavy if your lugging it around all day, but are great at soaking up recoil when sat in the hide,,, the SxS is much lighter but kicks a little more,,,, horses for courses my mate

hi mate,

i have to disagree with some of these posts about the semi autos being heavier,my 12bore mossberg 9500 semi auto is very light in weight, i use it for walking around,and in the hide but i never think its too heavy, yet my mates 12bore over/under is heavier, :hmm:

my gun has a 28inch barrel,the same length as my mates o/u,yet when you stand them side by side mine is a fraction longer,but hardly noticable when in use,

in my opinion i would recommend a semi auto. :thumbs:

thanks tl

For that sort of money you could buy yourself a new Hatsan over & under brand new with a three year warranty:

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/results.php?&Filter[NewType][]=Shotgun&Filter[NewMechanism][]=Over%20and%20Under&Filter[Calibre][]=12%20gauge&Filter[Make][]=Hatsan%20Arms

They just got a good write up here:

http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/hatsan_silver_select/

To be honest for they money with a three year warranty that is going to be hard to beat!!

Hope that helps.

ATB

Jonno