PCP vs Springer?

I'm a big fan of the PCP rifle's which seems to have unriveld accuracy compared to the Spring Guns. on the other hand I shot a Old BSA Mercury S today in .177 belong to a mate and I must admit I loved it, talk about bring back some memories with that loud Twang of the spring with each shot :yes:! plus to me it felt every bit like a rifle with some recoil although limited. you have to shoot springers like any gun with recoil where as the PCP is totally recoiless and in my opinion you have to work less on the shot....

I'm not slagging PCP's off in any way as I may be investing in one shortly, but I'll always keep a springer just to remind me how to shoot again ;)....

Funny you should bring this up as I use both. I think there are very few PCPs that will ever have the "big grin" factor that a springer provides :victory: .

I use a HW95K every day and is a brilliant rifle, also lucky enough to own a HW90K, Webley Longbow and an Air Arms V Mach Pro Sport, which is the best springer I have ever fired..............Al ;)

Oh mate when you mentioned Pro Sport it brought a big Grin!! what a gun hey :victory:, I nearly had one a few years back in .177 but I'm a left hander and this gun had a right hand rolled over cheek peice but what a machine it was.

The last springer I brought was a Webley Tomahawk in .177, I quite liked the gun but it wasn't in the class as the Pro Sport. I liked the break barrel version Airarms did to the Pro Elite! a lad round this way had one running at a tad over 19ft/lbs in .177, he could only run it on Bisley mags or Barracudas as most other pellets would either fly all over the place or break up in the barrel....

Springer for me, simple, less to go wrong and can use all day with out having to fill up :yes:

000_0265.jpg

Squiz.jpg

Got a load more pics but on a different computer :victory:....................... Honest :laugh::D

Edited by Hob&Jill

Very nice mate :victory:, You're now changing my mind instead of forking out a load of cash on a PCB ;)! I had some fun with my old springers in the past and still love them, the PCB's are alot of money for when you consider whats in them, Boy couldn't you get a nice Rimmy and scope for the price of a PCB without any other equipment....

Guest baldie

I,ve got a pro sport Jasper, and its the dogs danglies mate, i would say the finest springer available.However, i have an airsporter-s, and a webley mark 3 too, so you could say i was biased towards underlevers. :D

Very nice mate :victory:, You're now changing my mind instead of forking out a load of cash on a PCB ;)! I had some fun with my old springers in the past and still love them, the PCB's are alot of money for when you consider whats in them, Boy couldn't you get a nice Rimmy and scope for the price of a PCB without any other equipment....

Cheers, you know it makes sense :tongue2:

Mines just a cheap BSA Supersport carbine .22, nothing fancy but does the job :thumbs-up: Nice for shooting out of the 4x4 as its quite small, also great if you have to walk around.

Good luck looking :thumbs-up:

I,ve got a pro sport Jasper, and its the dogs danglies mate, i would say the finest springer available.However, i have an airsporter-s, and a webley mark 3 too, so you could say i was biased towards underlevers. :D

Boy have you got some classic underlevers there Baldie :victory:, probably the very best of the bunch through out the years! I'm very enviouse mate :yes:, I have to take my Hat off to BSA back in them times as they produced some real classics from the Mercury's and Airspoters right through to the rolls royce "S" Models, its a real shame but I heard they have been taken over by Gammo or am I getting muddled up with Webley :hmm:.....

Guest baldie

Airgunsport have aquired webley, but BSA have been using gamo parts for some years , in the meteors etc, also the std rapid 7 uses a gamo trigger. It would,nt surprise me at all buddy.

That explains it all then mate why alot of the newer BSA's I have seen have plastic triggers :whistle:, I saw one of the later Airsporters before they fazed them out and the release catch on the cocking lever was made of plastic and so was the open sights, I can't slag them off for it though as I should think the Market these days is alot harder than when we was kids so they need to make cut backs, when I was a kid everyone seemed to read "Airgun World" and the talk at school was always about the new Airguns that just hit the Market! I remember seeing the field test on the Airsporter S and the Mercury S and drooling ;)...

First ever gun was a bsa meteor ,no sights open or scope but could still shoot a match head at 20 yards only pcp i've ever bought was a stealth what a load of crap that was ,will stick with my tx200 for now , heavy gun but does the job all day long.

I'm now beggining to think about another springer and save some seriouse cash on a PCP! Having said that the Daystate PCP's look very nice, the Pro Sport in .177 would be ideal but apparantly AirArms only do them in a RightHand stock with a rolled over cheek peice, this makes it virtualy impossible for me to shoot comfortable being a lefthander....

Ive shot many springers untill now, own a falcon. Out of all the springers ive owned from bsa, webley air arms, the best springers ive owned have to be the HW range. i loved the 80 and 77 but the last i owned was a 95k. just like the 80 only lighter. Jasper. if your looking for a value for money springer with top of the range performance you cant fault the 95k. Ask mad Al, he now owns my old 95k and recons its a real joy to shoot ;)