.223 for next calibre

Hi Folks,

I'm considering a .223 for my first centrefire calibre for fox, muntjac and cwd.

Any pro's and cons?

how much is factory ammo?

Many thanks all!

Duncan

Its a good versatile calibre, lots of ammo choice, easy to shoot and very capable on all your listed quarry.

Always a decent used market for .223 as well if you want something for ALL deer (.243) at a later stage!

i love my .223 ive had 2 of them in the past few years, it gets more use than my .22rf at the moment.

i mainly use mine as a long range bunny basher (150yard+) but with 55gr heads i can still take mj or cwd if one pops up (and they are in season).

if your only looking to take the small deer then .223 is fine, if you do change your mind later and fancy the bigger stuff you will need a bigger caliber such as .243 (unless you go scotland)

as for ammo cost, i think the last lot i brought was norma and that was about £21 for 20 but thats higher end ammo, you can get cheaper not sure how much.

Edited by AzMaN

Love my Remmy 700 .223 and use both Remington Accutip in 55gr and Winchester ballistic silvertip 55grvarmints both group extremely well, 1/2" at 100m all day long and around 1.5" at 200m on a day with little wind.

In variable winds of 5-10mph I was getting 3" groups at 260m on paper the other day.

Cost of ammo by me is £30 for 20 Accutips and £28 for 20 Winchesters.

I have toy'd with the idea of trying the £20 for 20 Federal V-shock tactical 69gr for some 'out of the box' longer range munition as I dont reload, havent got the time and my rifle has a 1:9 twist so can spin some heavier bullets.

So plenty of good quality factory ammo about but expensive way to shoot crows! I prefer to long range plink the crows with 17hmr, £15 for 50.