Corvid Success

Had some more success with the little owl decoy and hide again this morning. After noticing over 50 crows (yes crows, not rooks!) on one of my permissions I thought it about time to concentrate on the corvids. I placed the cammo net on the usual woodland fringe and the little owl decoy on the dry stone wall at a lasered 30 yards away.

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MTQtMjAxMTA4MTQtMDkzMC5qcGc.jpg

Once again, no sooner had I returned to the hide when all hell broke loose!

Within 5 minutes I'd taken my first crow at 30 yards, a three quarter grown one that had landed around 3ft away from my decoy. As soon as this crow dropped over 20 then began to mob the decoy and their fallen comrade, swooping in, landing in the trees above me and making one hell of a racket until the HW100 dropped a second with a well placed heart shot at 35 yards. The full grown crow simply flopped over onto the wall, wings open. Needless to say after dispatching the second all went quiet.

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MTMtMjAxMTA4MTQtMDkyOS5qcGc.jpg

Once again, full credit to the kit which performed faultlessly: .22 HW100KT, Weihrauch F&T Special, Harris Bipod, MTC Viper 4-16x50, Guntuff Laser Rangefinder, Little Owl Decoy and 20ftx5ft cammo net.. awesome set up!

ATB

Hi Elliot.

Nice post and pictures mate.

Congrats on your corvids, nice shooting.

Been talking about getting the deeks out for a bit of fun, and reading your post has spurned me on now :laugh:

ATB.

Bill.

Always a proud moment when you manage a corvid, especially crows, which in my opinion are the most difficult and intelligent quarry - so I was pretty pleased with two! Yes the bird of prey decoys are fantastic, especially when the young have fledged the nest, grown in confidence and the fields have been bailed - such as my shoot. Good luck when you have a pop, let me know how you get on :thumbs:

ATB

Hi Elliot.

Nice post and pictures mate.

Congrats on your corvids, nice shooting.

Been talking about getting the deeks out for a bit of fun, and reading your post has spurned me on now :laugh:

ATB.

Bill.

Always a proud moment when you manage a corvid, especially crows, which in my opinion are the most difficult and intelligent quarry - so I was pretty pleased with two! Yes the bird of prey decoys are fantastic, especially when the young have fledged the nest, grown in confidence and the fields have been bailed - such as my shoot. Good luck when you have a pop, let me know how you get on :thumbs:

ATB

Will do buddy :thumbs:

Well done mate, I dont know if you know, but crows are scientifically regarded as being the most intelligent animal after man!.....mmm

I do most of my shooting of crows with shotgun and .17hmr, but something else that works for me, is a bit of fur (from the hood of the old parkas, but it could just be a bit of rolled up rabbit skin) on a long length of fishing line. When any crows start coming into your decoys, give it a few tugs, (the fishing line, lol) and the crows usually go mad and sit on the nearest dry stone wall. Dont know how it will work for an airgun. Good luck. Failing that, an old fish and chip, or, kebab wrapper from the night before pegged down, also works well around my way, and guarentees they land.

Well done mate, I dont know if you know, but crows are scientifically regarded as being the most intelligent animal after man!.....mmm

I do most of my shooting of crows with shotgun and .17hmr, but something else that works for me, is a bit of fur (from the hood of the old parkas, but it could just be a bit of rolled up rabbit skin) on a long length of fishing line. When any crows start coming into your decoys, give it a few tugs, (the fishing line, lol) and the crows usually go mad and sit on the nearest dry stone wall. Dont know how it will work for an airgun. Good luck. Failing that, an old fish and chip, or, kebab wrapper from the night before pegged down, also works well around my way, and guarentees they land.

Lol, thanks for the tip, never heard of that one before - I may well give it a try :thumbs:

Wonder how it works.. :hmm:

ATB