Tonights Wildlife Patrol

In Scotland you need permission first if you do not have that all else that you do regarding earthwork for foxes is illegal they were on the banks of the Clyde Probably council ground no permission if you do have permission once you have the fox it must be killed using a shotgun a firearm or a Bird of Prey (yes I know). permission is Vital once you have that everything else falls into place you can then invite your chum with a shotgun to give you a hand. The problem is if you make it this easy for the police to catch you acting illegally you can hardly complain when they capture you, problem is this case could still be succesfully defended but only with decent advice they wont get that from a legal aid lawyer if any one knows them pm me.

Yeah agreed, I didnt mean that they had permission to dig there, What I was referring to is the police made a blanket statement that 'digging foxes is illegal' and not 'digging foxes is illegal unless you are on permission, in protection of game birds' etc...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think that it is a load of rubbish as well re the badger/fox/rabbit digging. Has anyone made any complaints to ITV? here is a copy of the email I have sent them;   Dear Sir/Madame,   I was wat

lets be honest they didnt have a f*****g clue soft basterds

What a crock of shit, they're spouting the same ol same ol shite about taking away Badgers and calling digging "baiting". You've got to expect this shit i suppose but it doesn't make it any easier to

I think that it is a load of rubbish as well re the badger/fox/rabbit digging. Has anyone made any complaints to ITV? here is a copy of the email I have sent them;

Dear Sir/Madame,

I was watching this programme on ITV Player recently (I had unfortunately missed the live broadcast due to work commitments). The episode shown on the 9 Aug 2011 featured an alleged badger digging incident on the banks of the River Clyde, near Glasgow. At approximately 10.00 into the programme the voice over states that hunting foxes with dogs is a criminal offence. This is incorrect.

Although the Hunting Act 2000 has banned the hunting of foxes with dogs, there are several exeptions. These include, using 2 or less dogs to flush foxes from cover, so that they may be shot. Under the so called 'Gamekeeper's expemtion' it is also legal to use a single dog below ground to flush a fox so that it may be humanely dispatched. Should the dog become trapped it is legal to dig down to the dog to free it. This may well have been the case in this incidence.

Whether it is or not is immaterial. You are producing a programme which gives a misleading view of the law to your viewers. With your extensive team of researchers I am sure that you are aware of the exempt hunting sections of the hunting act. I therefore ask that for the next episode of Wildlife Patrol you make it clear that the hunting of foxes with dogs is perfectly legal in some circumstances. As a member of the Working Terrier Federation I am attempting to educate people as to the requirement for the legal and humane use of terriers to control vermin. People who work terriers constantly struggle against ignorance and prejudice. That a national broadcaster is helping to perpetuate such views is not helpful. As a broadcaster you have a duty to ensure that the information you present is correct. Please ensure that you do so for the next episode. I look forward to watching it.

Yours faithfully,

(insert your name here)

This kind of anti propoganda needs to be fought at every level. Whether or not the lads in the film were acting illegally, it was wrong of ITV to state that is is illegal to use a dog to hunt a fox. Feel free to copy my email and sent it to ITV complaints in your own name. Their email address is viewerservices@itv.com. If enough people complain they will have to listen to us. If I don't get the right response from ITV I intend to complain to Ofcom.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I have received a reply from ITV.

Dear xxx,

Thank you for your email regarding Wildlife Patrol.

We apologise for the delay in your response however the production team have sent the following:-

"Many thanks for your email in regards to the Wildlife Patrol episode shown on the 9th of August.

The episode shown featured an incident in Scotland where suspects were charged under the Protection of Wild Mammals (Scotland) Act 2002. This is an Act under Scottish legislation where as you state, there are allowances of using dogs to 'flush out' foxes but only if there is a means to dispose of the fox humanely such as shooting or using birds of prey. The suspects in this incident had no means of doing this. They also did not have permission from the landowner to be there.

Whereas we have focused on this particular story in this episode, we have previously featured the legal use of dogs for ratting explaining the difference between this and the illegal use of dogs.

Best wishes"

May I thank you for taking the time to contact us here at ITV as we always welcome viewers feedback

If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us

Kind Regards

Ann

ITV VIEWER SERVICES

Very kind of them, but they have not addressed my original complaint that their voice over man stated that all hunting of foxes with dogs is illegal. My reply to them is printed below. I will keep you updated as to how this progresses.

Dear Ann,

My thanks to you and the production team for your response. Please can you forward the following reply to them, or provide me with a direct email address for them.

Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you very much for your reply to my email regarding the episode of Wildlife Patrol shown on 9th Aug 2011. As I said in my original email, the individuals in this instance may well have been breaking the law. My complaint was that your voice over man stated that all hunting of foxes with dogs is illegal. This is factually innaccurate and may lead to well meaning members of the public wasting police time and attempting to prevent legal terrier men going about their lawful buisness.

I am pleased to learn that you have also shown lawful hunting with dogs (the ratting incident which you refer to). Well done on portraying some of the positives that can come from hunting with dogs. Unfortunately, this episode is no longer available on ITV Player. Please continue the good work and broadcast a correction to the statement made by your voice over man in the 9th Aug 11 episode.

Yours sincerely,

xxx

In Scotland you need permission first if you do not have that all else that you do regarding earthwork for foxes is illegal they were on the banks of the Clyde Probably council ground no permission if you do have permission once you have the fox it must be killed using a shotgun a firearm or a Bird of Prey (yes I know). permission is Vital once you have that everything else falls into place you can then invite your chum with a shotgun to give you a hand. The problem is if you make it this easy for the police to catch you acting illegally you can hardly complain when they capture you, problem is this case could still be succesfully defended but only with decent advice they wont get that from a legal aid lawyer if any one knows them pm me.

hi there just to let you all know it's not a set up n 1 of those men is my partner and there is a 3 day trial that started today glasgow sheriff, and it happened on febuary. the programme only showed what they wanted to show! bams....

hi there just to let you all know it's not a set up n 1 of those men is my partner and there is a 3 day trial that started today glasgow sheriff, and it happened on febuary. the programme only showed what they wanted to show! bams....

let me no how he got on shell