The Bassett..?

Seen a pair of these today, no not working dogs, these were most deffinatley kc showey stuff but it had me wondering, especially as there is a big surge in adding Beagle into various types of bushing dogs, has anyone, would anyone use a working Bassett, or add it to the mix..?

Oh yer, whilst we are on the subject, though this section is for hounds, by the same token, how about the Clumber Spaniel? Thicker sett, heavier and slower, if there are still good 'uns about, how would these fit in. To me, the right type of either could be just the ticket?

Food for thought... Your opinions please... :thumbs:

Seen a pair of these today, no not working dogs, these were most deffinatley kc showey stuff but it had me wondering, especially as there is a big surge in adding Beagle into various types of bushing dogs, has anyone, would anyone use a working Bassett, or add it to the mix..?

Oh yer, whilst we are on the subject, though this section is for hounds, by the same token, how about the Clumber Spaniel? Thicker sett, heavier and slower, if there are still good 'uns about, how would these fit in. To me, the right type of either could be just the ticket?

MY old boss ran and still runs clumbers real slow deep scenting gundogs good on woodcock , bassets hare hunting is a sight a could not get my head around them at first untill they got on a line and started singing try and keep up with them all day across plough :icon_eek:

got a pair of pups in wales last year basset x beagle x terrier back to a pure teckle dog, running them with a young teckle bitch, happy out with there progress so far :thumbs:

Great photos: what a difference between these and the poor, low slung show stock that can barely walk, never mind gallop.

Yep Skycat, real examples of the breed, a million miles away from what i seen that day that had me thinking. Like I said, the right type of either Bassett or Clumber would/should be ideal to add to the mix of bushing dogs.

Thank you to all who have posted so far. :thumbs:

hi

i keep and work bassets to fox, bloody good fun they are, hell of a nose on them but give them an inch they will take a yard. i wouldn't change them for anything but im fortunate to have alot of ground where boundaries aren't too much of a problem. mine are the working strain not the show type, got originally in the hope that fences and walls etc would stop them or at least slow them down so as not to make me too un popular with neighbouring farmers/ landowners. dont get bassets on the strength of a wall or fence stopping them! joking aside they work there socks off and live for it. i have found the dogs have alot more drive than the bitches but thats not to say its like that for everyone. i cant comment on crossing them in but there should be plenty on thl to look at as chipper did cross them and posted things on thl in the past. iv put my best dog over a good foxhound bitch as an experiment, not because i want to change what iv got but working bassets are few and far between, nice pups but only 10 weeks old so its going to take a while to find them out, fingers crossed.

corky john mentioned knowing of a small pack owned by an ex terrier man, it may be my pack you refered too, my father passed away coming up 3 yrs ago so possibly us. if its us, for your interest were going stronger than ever.

cheers zippo.

never seen basset hounds work..but i did see a pack at a hound parade at yorkshire show years ago so must be working pack about somewhere ..i cant rember what they were called..they definatly looked different to the kc variety..but then look at beagles, working ones look so different to the big skulled show versions and the fat table backed pet ones you see about :laugh: