advice would be much appreciated

hi

im new to the sport anwould love to know where to begin i am 23 and live in kent , i shal be building a kennel / run at the end of september , and not sure wether to get a pup or a bit of an older dog bitch preferably, i have two pet staffords, that live indoors,and was wondering if icould walk them altogether etc any advice on owning and working a lurcher would be blinding

cheers guys

What sort of lurcher u on about getting ?

I'd get a pup mate bring it up the way u want it

not sure really mate thanks for the reply , was hoping to be put inthe right direction . id like something pretty tough ,mainly for rabbits but if charlie was to appear it could deal withthe matter , an all rounder nothing too big , iv got a 10 x 4 x5 run and kennel open to any suggesstions maybe something like a suluki x whippet x bedi x grey ????? not sure really as u can tell im a bit of a novice , cheerscushy

whatever you decide matters not ....if a pup let it be a pup ...if its older take time to bond with it ..not hard really

theres a rescue centre near me that get a lot of young lurchers may even go there , but i suppose it may be ther for wrong reasons ??? could they be brought round ? may be just idiots who had them before ,

Guest jt750

whatever you decide matters not ....if a pup let it be a pup ...if its older take time to bond with it ..not hard really

theres a rescue centre near me that get a lot of young lurchers may even go there , but i suppose it may be ther for wrong reasons ??? could they be brought round ? may be just idiots who had them before ,

that's a toughie mate ..methinks your not experienced dog owner ..get a pup ..lots here to help you with it

• Like 1

i am an experianced dog owner i have two staffords already (pets) and my grand father bred geman shepheards whilst i was growing up i have a great way with dog just not a great deal of knoledge of working them ... hence why i asked for some pointers mate , and to be honest the rescue where i went i dont thin they gave a shit really. there seems to be lots of dogs around the 10 month to two age which i think are still learnable ??? do any of you think that this could be a good idea ??

get rid of the staffies and get a lurcher pup :thumbs:

seriously though i would be very carefull,and only you know really what temprement your current dogs have.wouldnt like to see you getting a new dog and then creating a problem for yourself mate.ive only really kept running dogs,apart from the odd alsation,but they were always kept away from each other.good luck anyway and im sure there is someone on here that can advise better.

If you plan to work your running-dog with your staffies, that increases your options a little. A whippet or smaller lurcher does not have to be able to kill a fox one-up, if you have other dogs there that will back it up when it bails Charlie. I'll qualify that by questioning how open the country is that you intend to work. If it's very tight, then you may need a dog that can pull up a fox very quickly on its own..... but the good thing about whips is their speed off the mark. I've seen a whippet bitch give an adult fox a forty-yard running start and catch it before it reached 100 yards.

Always select for temperament. This may not sound like a big thing, as the longdogs are proverbially easy-going, but you want confidence in a dog. Don't get one that is obviously timid.

Another sugestion is to not get an ex-track dog. Dogs that have only ever run track are more prone to injure themselves. One way to avoid this is to start a pup young and run it on rabbits in rough country. It will learn the hard way <ouch> to pick its path,,, and it will learn that lesson before it is fast enough to hurt itself badly.

cheers mate thats a good start , i dont intend to work my staffs one being two and as dosile as anything but my seven month bitch is nuts so she could have potential i suppose , the ground i intend to work is pretty mixed really i just hear an see so many x's i dont know what way to turn i want some great sport , what do you think on bull x's ? i hear so many mixed opinions ,i would like to end up with a right nice little pack , but i gotta find a base ??..... thats a way off i know

cheers mate