manning

saxonmaster

hi all just would like to know how many of you start manning your harris hawks straight away or leave the bird to settle for a week or two. once the kit as been put onto my bird im going to free loft for 2 weeks before i start manning. would like your views and opinions please thanks for reading.

sorry if this has been covered already

I would get his gear on leave him a day or so on the bow, then start manning him. If you leave him for a couple a weeks he will be bashing about with his gear on especialy when you catch him up again.

Andy

assuming this is a new bird, i cant see what is gained by waiting, get him bowed and start manning. However every season since my first with the harris i have freelofted my bird and just dropped his weight until he flies to me within the aviary each year.I then have a couple of times on the creance then away. I know many dont like this way but it works for me. Good luck with it.

assuming this is a new bird, i cant see what is gained by waiting, get him bowed and start manning. However every season since my first with the harris i have freelofted my bird and just dropped his weight until he flies to me within the aviary each year.I then have a couple of times on the creance then away. I know many dont like this way but it works for me. Good luck with it.

hi mate its just ive read and been told that if you let the bird settle into its new home it gives you a more steady bird and its classed as bullying the bird and its a lot for the bird to deal with all at once. it is my first bird so im not to sure whats right or wrong maybe i should just start manning straight away. thanks mate :thumbs:

Forget the freelofting when you get it home, start the bonding/manning straight away... get the bird onto the glove which will result in it hanging upside down, lift it gently back up ... infact read the thread " My first hawk" in the broadwing section thats how we did it and they turned out to be superb birds. regards liam.

Just googled it there's some hilarious answers.

hahahahaha quality i live in wiltshire which is lovely mate but the town i live in is the pits :thumbdown: i read your post when you first wrote it and really enjoyed the read mate :thumbs: thanks for the offer of help mate more help the better and your right about the iff some right knobs on there who think they were born with a bird on there fist hahaha. got plenty permission and i work on a manor farm and i can take the harris with me so once the cattle are housed for winter and the electric fences are turned off ill be able to fly him while im at work which will be nice if i havent got time to fly him when i get home.

at the end of the day your best off doing it the way your gut instinct tells you too mate :thumbs I go by the rule pick one method and stick with it,you'll be more confident and that will project onto the bird. its no great mystery is manning a bird, especially as one as amiable to training as a harris is by nature (vast majority, patience and time, you'll soon have it cracked, we all have incidents and bad sessions but before you know it you'll be flying it on creance line, then free :icon_eek:

Any problems or questions don't be afraid to ask mate, this ain't the IFF. where's the arm pit of england ?a'l google it. lol.liam.

:notworthy: IFF lot can be a bit caustic at times, a lot like to make a basic process studied for hundereds of years out to be a mystery that only the chosen ones can truly undertsand master and enjoy :blink:

I know they got the sport and birds welfare at heart , but every sport needs newcomers to progress or simply survive.