First outing Lamping

Ok so i took a trip to my local gun shop Saturday (County way Gun Shop) to pick up a hard plastic case for my s410.

whilst there i got chatting with one of the fellas and we got onto the subject of lamping, having only gone there intending to get a tin of pellets and a new case i could only blame myself for what was about to happen. :whistling:

as most people do, i set myself a limit before going to the gun shop as i am like a kid in Toys R Us & will walk out with a hole in my pocket but a big grin on my face. only to get home and hearing that dreaded question from the mrs "So.... How much did you spend?" followed by an ear bashing. :thumbdown:

Anyway after a 10 min discussion and a few demonstrations i thought the best suited lamp for my need was the Ledray GL2; with 130 Lumens, 90m beam & aprox 5 - 7 hours of battery life also with the addition of a flip up red filter & pressure switch i was set.

as i was about to pay for my new goodies my phone started to ring "Steph" flashed on the screen, "ohh" dear i thought hmm...quick SILENT followed by slid the phone back into my pocket.

i did walk out with a massive smile & a still vibrating pocket :tongue2: i had bought a hard case,Deban Ledray GL2 & red filter, a tin of AA Fields a new pellet trap (put a hole through the centre of the old one) and last but not least a box of targets.

when i pulled up at home i realised THANK GOD that the Mrs had gone over to her mums, grabbing a rather large array of bits from the back seats i went indoors & got ready for an evening of lamping at my rabbit permission which has never seen a lamp!!

i got to the permission at around 9:30pm it was still quite light, but i was still a good 20 min walk through woods to where the rabbit problem was occurring. about 15min into my trek i decided to stop for a quick smoke, placing my rifle on the ground unzipping my camo and then lighting up i decided to get ready and load the mag. by the time i finished faffing around and actually got to the problem area it was 10:15 & nearly dark.

i started to stalk round the edge of the field where it met the mass of wood i had just come from giving the occasional flash from the lamp which actually produced a pink ish sort of beam when i spotted my first glowing eye about 20 yards in front of me i shouldered the rifle took aim and squeezed the trigger and nothing i had forgot to cock the rifle :icon_redface: i took aim again by this time i had figured that the bunny was completely unfazed by my lamp and thwack lights out.

by this time the weather had started to shift and was beginning to spit, not wanting to look like a drowned rat i started to make the 25min journey back to the car still giving the occasional sweep of the field with the lamp i spotted my last bunny of the night about 35 yards away dropping to the prone position a nice clean dispatch was made.

as far as the night goes i am really impressed with the performance of the GL2 its beam is defiantly more than most shooters requirements as far as i am concerned.

sorry about the quality of the picture it was taken on my phone as i forgot to take the camera :wallbash:

p1407112320.jpg

Thanks for reading :thumbs:

Jamie

Edited by Bugs Bunny

Hi Jamie.

Enjoyed the read mate, very funny, I could see you holding your breathe and eyes closing when the name came up on your phone screen :laugh:

Well done on your lamping trip mate, good shooting.

ATB.

Bill.

Glad you enjoyed :thumbs: i didnt at the time lol she now wants me to get her a rifle ohh how things WILL change!

Ok so i took a trip to my local gun shop Saturday (County way Gun Shop) to pick up a hard plastic case for my s410.

whilst there i got chatting with one of the fellas and we got onto the subject of lamping, having only gone there intending to get a tin of pellets and a new case i could only blame myself for what was about to happen. :whistling:

as most people do, i set myself a limit before going to the gun shop as i am like a kid in Toys R Us & will walk out with a hole in my pocket but a big grin on my face. only to get home and hearing that dreaded question from the mrs "So.... How much did you spend?" followed by an ear bashing. :thumbdown:

Anyway after a 10 min discussion and a few demonstrations i thought the best suited lamp for my need was the Ledray GL2; with 130 Lumens, 90m beam & aprox 5 - 7 hours of battery life also with the addition of a flip up red filter & pressure switch i was set.

as i was about to pay for my new goodies my phone started to ring "Steph" flashed on the screen, "ohh" dear i thought hmm...quick SILENT followed by slid the phone back into my pocket.

i did walk out with a massive smile & a still vibrating pocket :tongue2: i had bought a hard case,Deban Ledray GL2 & red filter, a tin of AA Fields a new pellet trap (put a hole through the centre of the old one) and last but not least a box of targets.

when i pulled up at home i realised THANK GOD that the Mrs had gone over to her mums, grabbing a rather large array of bits from the back seats i went indoors & got ready for an evening of lamping at my rabbit permission which has never seen a lamp!!

i got to the permission at around 9:30pm it was still quite light, but i was still a good 20 min walk through woods to where the rabbit problem was occurring. about 15min into my trek i decided to stop for a quick smoke, placing my rifle on the ground unzipping my camo and then lighting up i decided to get ready and load the mag. by the time i finished faffing around and actually got to the problem area it was 10:15 & nearly dark.

i started to stalk round the edge of the field where it met the mass of wood i had just come from giving the occasional flash from the lamp which actually produced a pink ish sort of beam when i spotted my first glowing eye about 20 yards in front of me i shouldered the rifle took aim and squeezed the trigger and nothing i had forgot to cock the rifle :icon_redface: i took aim again by this time i had figured that the bunny was completely unfazed by my lamp and thwack lights out.

by this time the weather had started to shift and was beginning to spit, not wanting to look like a drowned rat i started to make the 25min journey back to the car still giving the occasional sweep of the field with the lamp i spotted my last bunny of the night about 35 yards away dropping to the prone position a nice clean dispatch was made.

as far as the night goes i am really impressed with the performance of the GL2 its beam is defiantly more than most shooters requirements as far as i am concerned.

sorry about the quality of the picture it was taken on my phone as i forgot to take the camera :wallbash:

p1407112320.jpg

Jamie

Hahahaha you got sucked into buying more than you expected, that ALWAYS happens to me in the Country Way Gun Shop (i assume w/malling) I don't just set my self a budget when I visit but also an amount of time and if owner with the glasses is there (can't remember his name but always sells more to me than I need) i leave!!!! They're a good bunch of guys in there to be fair. i also have a GL2 and it's good but the pressure switch went wrong after a few time out in the field. Good work though on your bunnies. Happy Hunting!

Ben

p1407112320.jpg

Jamie

Hahahaha you got sucked into buying more than you expected, that ALWAYS happens to me in the Country Way Gun Shop (i assume w/malling) I don't just set my self a budget when I visit but also an amount of time and if owner with the glasses is there (can't remember his name but always sells more to me than I need) i leave!!!! They're a good bunch of guys in there to be fair. i also have a GL2 and it's good but the pressure switch went wrong after a few time out in the field. Good work though on your bunnies. Happy Hunting!

Ben

lol yeah it is the w/malling one and the young guy has been taking lessons on how to upsell from the boss :big_boss: as thats who served me

Excellent result. You`ll have a good few results now as I expect the bunnies there arent used to lamping. Once they realise, things will be a bit harder for you.

I had to relate to the "going into the shop to buy pellets" and buying a lot more. Last gunshop I wandered in to was for the same reason and I ended up spending about 600quid on a new shotgun. lol.... My record though has to be popping into my local motorbike shop to buy a 5quid oil filter and walking out with a £1400 titanium race exhaust system. Oooooops!! As long as the missus never finds out!