Advice for a newbie pigeon shooter / decoyer

Hi all :)

Over the last few months i've been accumulating all the equipment that the average pigeon shooter / decoyer would need , because i've recently joined a local shooting syndicate that shoots our feathered friends for crop protection. The last piece of equipment i needed was a rotary machine and i bought this last Wednesday.

To cut a long story short , i have been out a few times this week and was really keen to try out all my new gadgets , flapper , decoys , rotary bouncers etc.

Although there seemed to be quite a few birds flying around ( About 6.00am ) they just didn't seem to want to decoy , and so far this week i have only accounted for a handful of birds.

I have tried setting up in both Rape and corn fields , but as soon as the birds see me coming they obviously take off and fly somewhere else. The few birds that i have manage to get were just casual shots that were taken as i was walking around the farm and woods.

Although i am a complete novice at pigeon shooting i understand that the best time to shoot pigeons is probably Harvest time when there is a lot of food around , but surely the birds still need to feed now , so what am i doing wrong ,

I look forward to reading you replies ,

John :unsure:

Edited by mjr88

Hi Mate, All I can say is keep it basic, start of with a few decoys out in a horse shoe pattern about 20-25yds out from your hide facing the wind. Make sure your hide is sound and you are showing no skin that the incoming birds will see.

Let a few birds drop in first before shooting at them.

Also take time to observe where the birds are feeding, I set up about 1030 - 1100 in the morning because they are getting hungry again after the first feed of the day (Dawn usually)

You could always ask one of the syndicate to show you the ropes as well.

Good Luck :thumbs:

Hi Mate, All I can say is keep it basic, start of with a few decoys out in a horse shoe pattern about 20-25yds out from your hide facing the wind. Make sure your hide is sound and you are showing no skin that the incoming birds will see.

Let a few birds drop in first before shooting at them.Also take time to observe where the birds are feeding, I set up about 1030 - 1100 in the morning because they are getting hungry again after the first feed of the day (Dawn usually)

You could always ask one of the syndicate to show you the ropes as well.

Good Luck :thumbs:

I wouldnt do that mate cos yes they will add movement to the pattern but as soon as you get them in the mood for feeding and get a few dead birds out there they will come in no problem but at this time of year take advantage of them coming in in 1s and 2s cos if you let say 6 feed in your pattern and you shoot say 2 on a good day, those other 4 aint coming back. as bullshot said, keep it simple, at the moment Im not even making a proper pattern especially not if theres not much wind, just stick a few down in and area of about fifteen yards square and make sure they have space between them put the rotary out and as soon as you get a couple then put them on it. put a flapper or two out to get some movement to start them off and if after about 1/2 hour they still ignore your pattern dont hesitate to change something.

and above all make a good hide

atb Ratty

Some good sense coming from the posts so far.

I reckon one step at a time. Are you under or near a flight line?

Basic and classic decoy pattern set up, ideally with your back to the wind, try different things if nothing is coming in; rotory, flapper, bouncer etc.

Bottom line is, if theres nothing in the air where you set up, nothing is going to be pulled in by your pattern.

If you are game, I'm not massively far from you and don't mind coming out to give you a hand.

In the meantime, good luck and all the best,

Duncan :D