For the whole time she had her my mother's new puppy has mouthed with pressure. It's her favorite game and she keeps wanting to play. My mother has tried a loud "Ouch" and withdrawing, after a few days when this had no affect Mum adopted a firm "No". Early this morning the puppy drew blood. Mum in now trying a firm (but not hard) smack on the puppy when it bites, which is all the time. This is really taking the shine off the puppy for Mum. What else can she do?

With bite inhibition like many other things with dogs the key is being consistent, so don't keep changing. I would recommend you stay with the a stern verbal command (i have used a growl or an over the top scream) accompanied by ignoring the dog afterwards. Make sure you praise the dog when it is in contact with you but not biting to encourage the positive also.

Just keep doing the same thing and maybe try giving the dog some frozen beef bones if the pup is teething :thumbs:

Good luck.

Also, try this, though it can be a bit painful. If the dog grabs your hand press down so the lower jaw is forced against the neck and keep it there for about 30 seconds (damned painful with milk teeth in dogs I know), then release. It means the dog cannot bite you and the discomfort of havign the lower jaw held is unpleasant for the dog.

Trust me I have tried this with Labradors, Corgis and German Shepherds, it works. The dog should have nice beef leg bones fromt he butchers for teething, it will help, but dogs will grab hands and clothing to try and assert their place in the pack, you have to assert your place over them sometimes.

The press the jaw method is invariably more painful for the owner but it does assert your position over the dog in the pack and does not really hurt the dog, it does work too!

Also, try this, though it can be a bit painful. If the dog grabs your hand press down so the lower jaw is forced against the neck and keep it there for about 30 seconds (damned painful with milk teeth in dogs I know), then release. It means the dog cannot bite you and the discomfort of havign the lower jaw held is unpleasant for the dog.

Trust me I have tried this with Labradors, Corgis and German Shepherds, it works. The dog should have nice beef leg bones fromt he butchers for teething, it will help, but dogs will grab hands and clothing to try and assert their place in the pack, you have to assert your place over them sometimes.

The press the jaw method is invariably more painful for the owner but it does assert your position over the dog in the pack and does not really hurt the dog, it does work too!

I don't agree scretagentmole that sounds like a barabara woodhouse recommendation...lol Why do you have to force the dogs jaw at all? I really dont see how this asserts you position over the dog in the pack other than scaring the pup and it wont do the relationship with your dog much good at all. I am sure it works but there really are easier methods which will keep you relationship stronger between you and the pup. :thumbs:

If you get a chance to read 'Think Dog by John Fisher' I am sure you will enjoy his section on this subject. :thumbs:

Edited by Sirius

I have just always gone with a short sharp sound for no. If I say ahh! my dogs know whatever they are doing is wrong and stop it immediately. With pups any time they bite you you say ahh! and get and walk away. I never hit my dogs the only thing I do is place my hand on their chest after they have rolled on their back in submission until they look away.

Sounds like it would work for hands. Any suggestions what to do for ankles?

Plank your mother needs to use the same commands consistently when the unwanted behaviour is displayed. This command must shock the dog, this is no different if its biting your ankles, hands or your arse :laugh: .

The other important question here is what is going on in the house who else lives there how do they interact with the dog? Will they use the same command and technique, because its very important everyone is doing the same thing.

For the whole time she had her my mother's new puppy has mouthed with pressure. It's her favorite game and she keeps wanting to play. My mother has tried a loud "Ouch" and withdrawing, after a few days when this had no affect Mum adopted a firm "No". Early this morning the puppy drew blood. Mum in now trying a firm (but not hard) smack on the puppy when it bites, which is all the time. This is really taking the shine off the puppy for Mum. What else can she do?

the most important thing in relation to pups is management, trying to manage situations before they arise even, the pup has an inbred force of nature to make contact and they do it through their mouth with teeth ,like we use our hands

what i would do is redirect the pups attention into a tug toy,or something similar, it might be a chore but is a matter of focusing him on an object and playing , letting him win it ,and feeling good with himself ,

it will also give you a handle on the pup if you have his most prized and fun possession at your disposal ,great for teaching recall and retrieve,,

sounds like a pup with plenty of drive, best of luck with it,,

Plank your mother needs to use the same commands consistently when the unwanted behaviour is displayed. This command must shock the dog, this is no different if its biting your ankles, hands or your arse :laugh: .

Ankles makes it kinda hard to walk though.

The other important question here is what is going on in the house who else lives there how do they interact with the dog? Will they use the same command and technique, because its very important everyone is doing the same thing.

The puppy lives with my Mum who is regularly, like a couple of times a day, visited by adult family members. So we can co-ordinate pretty easily. But a fierce, loud "No" doesn't seem to have any effect. Whether it's biting, trying to eat it's own poop, knocking over the bin or whatever it's one determined little puppy.

Am pleased to report that Puppy has almost stopped biting and having been told "No" when held is now taking notice of being just being told "No" at other times. :yes: