The Breeder raised my mother's new pup on Burns then switched the litter to Baker's to go to there new homes. While it seems a good pup, the vet said it was big for an eight week old German shepherd(5.5kg). I was hoping for some advice from the vet as I'd heard that Baker's isn't a great food, but the vet was non-committal about what would be a good food to choose. I have heard good things about Chudley's puppy. Has anyone got any experience with it? We don't want the pup to grow too fast and get joint trouble later.

The Breeder raised my mother's new pup on Burns then switched the litter to Baker's to go to there new homes. While it seems a good pup, the vet said it was big for an eight week old German shepherd(5.5kg). I was hoping for some advice from the vet as I'd heard that Baker's isn't a great food, but the vet was non-committal about what would be a good food to choose. I have heard good things about Chudley's puppy. Has anyone got any experience with it? We don't want the pup to grow too fast and get joint trouble later.

No ones answering must think you sound like a plank LOL

No ones answering must think you sound like a plank LOL

Chudley's puppy food :thumbs:

Raised my two pups on it, great nutrition, they have turned out to be happy, healthy adult dogs, who now have chudley's classic food. clear eyes, good teeth and wonderful shiny coats, even our 11 year old GSD is on it.

You can't go wrong it Chudley's..

Have you thought about feeding raw rather than the processed food , surely if the vet was not able to advice you properly or to even try to sell you some of there food then I would seriously be looking for a new vet if something as simple as nutrition had fazed them :thumbs:

As Kay said above.

I've never few raw solely before, but did with my now 8 month old pup and he's flying.

He gets lamb breast, lamb or beef mice, chicken wings and carcasses, beef or whatever is reduced in Tescos.

The best bit is the nice hard little turds he does, dead easy to pick up, none of that stinking sloppy mess you get from dry food.

I thought it was going to be a load of hassle, but it isn't, dead easy once you get the routine.

Have you thought about feeding raw rather than the processed food , surely if the vet was not able to advice you properly or to even try to sell you some of there food then I would seriously be looking for a new vet if something as simple as nutrition had fazed them :thumbs:

Unfortunately the regular vet, who we've always been impressed with, was off sick and we had a locum.

i used chudleys in the first 7months of my pup.although i tend to use the dry as a mixer only.a few handfulls and the rest is either minced chicken or beef.aswell as brown bread,rice.or on occasions half tin of chopped tomatoes.i have never fed raw,and i know a lot of lads swear by it.but its a personal choice and tbh all the dogs i have ever owned have been tip top condition and healthy coat eyes all the normal traits you would look for in a dog.my dogs do not lack aything from being feed cooked meat,so spare any lectures in feeding barf (no offence).Kept a cpl alsations in my time,and just fed them what id feed any other dog.

As Kay said above.

I've never few raw solely before, but did with my now 8 month old pup and he's flying.

He gets lamb breast, lamb or beef mice, chicken wings and carcasses, beef or whatever is reduced in Tescos.

The best bit is the nice hard little turds he does, dead easy to pick up, none of that stinking sloppy mess you get from dry food.

I thought it was going to be a load of hassle, but it isn't, dead easy once you get the routine.

We were considering supplementing with rabbit when she is older but we wanted a suitable proprietary food for now as GSD are prone to hip trouble so AFAIK we want restricted protein for steady growth. As an aside, when we went to the vet there was a beautiful looking GSD three years old, but it couldn't sit properly with it's bad hips. The owner said that it was just a matter of months until it's chronic pain would mean it needed to be put down. :(

When we've fed supplementary raw to previous dogs they've not only been more alert but also more active. From what I've read young dogs with soft bones and joints can be damaged through too much activity. Plus until her anti-Weil's disease jabs kick in my mother's GSD is only allowed out under supervision and we don't want her bouncing off the walls.

I would be interested in any info you could share about feeding totally raw to a grown up dog. Am I right in thinking you mix the meat with crushed weetabix?

As Kay said above.

We were considering supplementing with rabbit when she is older but we wanted a suitable proprietary food for now as GSD are prone to hip trouble so AFAIK we want restricted protein for steady growth. As an aside, when we went to the vet there was a beautiful looking GSD three years old, but it couldn't sit properly with it's bad hips. The owner said that it was just a matter of months until it's chronic pain would mean it needed to be put down. :(

When we've fed supplementary raw to previous dogs they've not only been more alert but also more active. From what I've read young dogs with soft bones and joints can be damaged through too much activity. Plus until her anti-Weil's disease jabs kick in my mother's GSD is only allowed out under supervision and we don't want her bouncing off the walls.

I would be interested in any info you could share about feeding totally raw to a grown up dog. Am I right in thinking you mix the meat with crushed weetabix?

weetabix has the nutritional value of a slate mate.i wouldnt mix it with that.like i said rice,toamtoes handfull of dry or veg something thats high in vitamins.

As Kay said above.

Totally agree with you, the very fact they produce so little waste tells that there must be a hell of a lot of crap in even the premium complete foods :thumbs:

weetabix has the nutritional value of a slate mate.i wouldnt mix it with that.like i said rice,toamtoes handfull of dry or veg something thats high in vitamins.

Fair enough, I was just quoting an article in an old copy of 'Smallholder' magazine.