favorite breed or just good worker

Are some people too set in there ways with the bred they favour rather than good workers .I am guilty of this my self i must admit i favour my collie and wheaten based lurchers but i have had some other breeds that were excellent workers but they just did'nt please me like the breeds i favour .i once had a saluki/greyhound x Irishterrierxgreyhound bitch that was probaly one of the best dogs i ever had for lamping and coursing but she did'nt realy suit me for some reason i cant realy put my finger on but i think the saluki breeding in her was what turned me off her so i gave her to a friend of mine that still works her but she has this ignorant streak about her as if she never really trusts anyone .just wondering do many other people feel the same

i've got a saluki based lurcher at the minute and at 8 month old i can see a very ignorant streak in him, sometimes he's fine and listens 100% but when he doesnt want to listen he really doesn't listen just pretends he's deaf. Heard it's a saluki trait, a bit annoying but he has his plus sides. If only you could have a collie based lurcher with the saluki bred lurchers athleticism, it would be perfect for edible game. Really like the collie lurchers, but then again have only been out with beddy/whip and bull crosses along with with the above mentioned. So i haven't seen enough to make my mind up if it's solely down to the breeding of the dogs or just the individual dogs.

The dog in my avitar is a bull cross he was far to head strong for my first dog but i didnt want to let him go there was something about him that i loved unfortunatly i was holding him back so i passed him on to my uncle and got myself a whippet which will be more suited the the ground i cover

You run a dog to there ground its to be best suited. I wouldn't take a bull greyhound to fens , and I wouldn't take Saluki lamping heavy numbers of fox. Ect , horses for courses , each breed has its own uses , if like myself can only house select amount or say 1 dog , you try what is suited to your preferred hunting. I.e I keep Saluki based due to I don't tend to lamp , if I was a lamper I'd opt for bull x , a good all rounder Saluki grey x bull grey imo. If I was to do bit everything

You run a dog to there ground its to be best suited. I wouldn't take a bull greyhound to fens , and I wouldn't take Saluki lamping heavy numbers of fox. Ect , horses for courses , each breed has its own uses , if like myself can only house select amount or say 1 dog , you try what is suited to your preferred hunting. I.e I keep Saluki based due to I don't tend to lamp , if I was a lamper I'd opt for bull x , a good all rounder Saluki grey x bull grey imo. If I was to do bit everything

i do a bit of everything and thats where my collie based lurchers come in

It's all down to personel preference ;-) no such thing as a bad breed , all have uses ;-)

True what your saying i could have the best all round lurcher in the world but if it was saluki based i would'nt be 100 % happy with it silly i know but thats just me

I get ya mate, my hunting partner has had collie x's for a long time, and recently for a change got something else (beddy/grey x bull/whip), and although he has had non-collie x's before, not for a long time, and i think he found the transition a bit strange, although she is a good dog, he was always looking for what he would have seen in a collie x at that stage. Think he's got used to it now tho.

i like my gsd x dam good all rounder but i also like beddie xs harts of a lion ive also run my dog with a saluki xs and ive got to say she runs realy well and works her hart out so id say its what you want to do the job you want it to :thumbs:

I think first and foremost u have to get a type u want myself I like pure whippets n the raggamuffin typical lurcher looking dogs like beddy crosses no disrespect to out else but if I say took on a bull cross I don't think it would suit me no matter how good it was I don't think I would do it justice I think you've got to get something u like and take it from there

I think first and foremost u have to get a type u want myself I like pure whippets n the raggamuffin typical lurcher looking dogs like beddy crosses no disrespect to out else but if I say took on a bull cross I don't think it would suit me no matter how good it was I don't think I would do it justice I think you've got to get something u like and take it from there

i keep whippets aswell but im not into whippet based lurcher i keep them for day time work and the lurchers are used mainly at night

Edited by lurcher330