pups first on the lamp.

went out in the rain lastnight and had 3 runs. thought ide get the pup out and about as the mixi has got a strong hold on this permission so might as well get em before the mixi dose!

first run, first rabbit he has ever actually seen on the lamp and the pup ran over it on the first pick up attempt, straight back onit and scooped it up within 15 yards! to say i was over the moon is an under statement! to my suprise the rabbit was clean as a whistle. retrived it still alive and dropped it at my feet after a slight stop half way back. im happy with that.

next 2 runs he lost both as they ran threw trees and the shadows but i was happy with one.

he picked up his first 4 last sunday threw the day, 3 very young ones and one very bad mixi.

i took this dog in at about 4 months old as a rescue. no idea what x he is all i know was he was so scared for months i never thought he was ever going to look at a bunny.

IMG_20110708_234203.jpg

quick question.

he spent all night looking at me rather then watching the light. he only saw the rabbits when they were close and got up to run. i sort of had to tell him to "go" before hesaw them and ran.

it will just click that he should be looking for them in the light? or is there a way for me to teach him?

yer the 3 last night were squatted tight, near enough hit them with the lamp to get them to run. he never saw them till they had run atleast 10/15 yards away as he was looking at me rather then what we were doing infront.

the retrieve really surprises me as its only this last few weeks he has started to come to me properly when called. he was always good at coming back but never got to close and would never come close enough for me to touch him.

thats why im more then happy with the rabbit being dropped at my feet, rather then in my hand.

Thats good stuff mate. To answer your question: It will click eventually but you can speed the process up in a number of ways. 1) (and my favourite) get him out with an experienced dog and just let him watch the first fewruns. He already knows what lamping is, just needs a few "tips" from an old hand. You walk with him and your mate with his experienced dog find a rabbit and walk towards it till it gets up, experienced dog slips, your dog watches. Next one light up and let the experienced dog see it. He should be pulling like a train and your dog will be thinking "whats he seen". Then slip experienced dog. All the time your dogs watching. As the experienced dog gets closer to the rabbit it should get up and then your dog will think "ah i see now"! Repeat this untill he is seeing them in the light. When your comfortable let him have a run. The other way iv used before is to glue a rabbit skin around a dog toy and glue the silver strips off a hi vis vest on it as eyes.

Alright mate with the high viz i just bought a dog toy which is high viz to str him and got the rabbit skins is this a good method as im going to video the progress and is it worth teaching him to sit lay stay ect i only want him as a lamping dog thank s

atb with the pup mate

cheers lads.

he will sit, stay, come back ect he will do the basics really well which is all i want, he was just very quiet and shy. as i said its these last few weeks he has just come right out of his shell. still abit shy but alot better then he was.

he WAS my partners dog and ive just tret him like a pet with no intention of working him. he started to cling to me and has just become really attached. like i said he WAS hers, now he is catching bunnys he`s mine lol.

he dont really play with toys enough to show interest in them out side the house so lamping them may not get him interested. getting a good experienced dog to go out with is the best idea but i carnt take ppl on my permission as the guy wont let strangers on his land and its abit cheeky to go on someone elses without returning the favor.

ill keep popping out with him and im sure he will click eventually.

• Like 1