Can anyone help me with my Logun S16?

Hi guys! I'm new here so let me introduce my self - I'm a 28 year old guy living in Wales (no sheep jokes please ;)) and I used to do pretty much nothing but shoot when I was growing up. All kinds of different "disciplines" (if they're called that?) including target shooting, small game hunting and pest control. Been out of the sport for a bit but recently got back into it. Anyway, I hope you're all ok, this seems like a busy forum!

I hope it's ok to ask for a bit of advice as I seem to be having a problem! I recently bought a second hand Logun S16 in very good cosmetic condition and with the assurance that the rifle has been very well cared for, I have no reason to disbelieve this as I bought it from a friend who would rather sell his wife and kids than be denied a shooting life! And who could blame him?! Problem is it's firing ALL over the place! We are in .22 here btw. I've tried every conceivable pellet, including some of the best tried and tested brands which I've never had issue with before. I understand that every gun behaves differently and what works great in one may not work great in another. I'm told that this gun prefers a heavier pellet. I was using Powa-Pells and couldn't hit a bull in the bum so I changed to Bisley Magnums - same result. I don't believe it's the scope at fault, although I guess it could be? I've also tried Bisley Practice and LRG through this, they all shoot wherever they fancy! It's not much more accurate or consistent at closer ranges than it is mid-far ranges, half the time I can't even hit THE target never mind get close to the bull. They're wide, they're high, then they're low, then wide and low - you get the picture, all over the place. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? I didn't want to make an epic length post as it's my first one and I don't want to bore anybody but if anyone has any pearls of wisdom I would be very grateful! Or if I've neglected to mention any vital detail please let me know!

In the meantime, I hope you're all having a better time than I am!

Peace!

***SD***

It could be a few things mate, barrel, silencer clipping, damaged pellets, over power...Theres a mate of mine off another forum who lives up here in the North East who is a master with Logun S16's....it's all he works on....

I'll PM you his number I'm sure he wont mind

Darryl

Hi mate it sounds pretty simple to me just by the analysis of your thread.

I would say you have a possibility of 3 problems maybe.

1. Your pellets are clipping your silencers and being deflected at different angles.

Try taking the silencer off and then testing again with some quality pellets. If its ok then you will need another silencer to stop it happening.

2. It also could be your scope not being tightened properly or broken but id say your silencer more.

I dont think you have a power problem or your shots would go low and high not left and right.

3. There is a obstruction in your barrel that is causing in accuracies or your barrel is damaged in some way. Maybe worth a inspection of it and giving it a good pull throw.

Let us know how you get on mate.

Si

Edited by zini

Just had a word with my mate and he seems to think it could be a shrouded S16 as theyre quite common for that apparently.....

It may be worth giving the barrel a pullthrough anyway, you never know!

I've PM'd his contact details anyway, keep us informed on how you get on!

cheers

Darryl

Edited by Marksman

Hi huys! Thanks for the replies! And thanks to Marksman for offering the wizard of Logun's contact details! It is a shrouded version, with the barrel shroud, then a kind of spacer (maybe 2" long) and then the silencer. All seem like a good tight fit with undamaged threading etc, but I'm definitely going to try your tip of removing all those and putting a mag or two through just to be sure, before I disturb your mate on the phone. From what I've read on this rifle, which is quite a bit by now, it's hailed for it's accuracy and most people are signing it's praises. The majority of those who aren't seem to be moaning mainly about it's appearance and weight rather than any kind of quality issue, please don't say I've bought a turkey :(

Any of you guys had a go with one of these? If so how did you rate it? I've never had a Logun before, always had BSA and Air Arms. Why did I ever stop shooting? Bloody women............ ;)

Update - WOW. I just put a few more powa pells through and I noticed that I could actually SEE the pellet travelling to the target, kinda like it was just being lobbed in the vague direction by someone who'd had a liquid lunch. Made very sure I was rested and put a few more through, same deal, I could WATCH the pellet leave the barrel and flop along to the target through the scope! Low on air I thought (even though the rifle's guage was still well in the green, but I heard they're not too accurate) so re filled the bottle and had another go. Same thing. Off with the silencer and entire shroud. Another mag loaded. WOW. From the day I got it it didn't seem like it was pushing out enough power, but then again I'd been out of the game a while............ without the silencer this thing is DEADLY accurate and SLAMS the pellet home shot after shot, power is now massively increased. I've taken the shroud and silencer apart for inspection, but I can't find anything wrong? No munched up pellets inside etc and the thing is as clean as a whistle, no obvious evidence of any misbehaviour etc. I'm going to pop it back together now and have another go, cos man is it loud without! If I get the same problem with the shroud and silencer re-fitted should I be taking this back to the guy I bought it from?

Thanks again for your help guys.

LIke I said mate....give my mate a call....he knew what it was off experience when I explained your symptoms and I'd imagine an easy fix.....

All you've got to lose is the price of a phonecall ;) ;)

Darryl

Edited by Marksman

Actually, I take back everything I just said. First few shots with the shroud and silencer off were much more like it, the right power and the right accuracy, then I put it down to post here, went back and re-fitted the silencer etc and got the same problem as before so assumed the silencer was the problem after all. BUT, when I took it off again to get on with some accurate can bashing for a bit, the problem has now reared it's ugly head even with said silencer and shroud off. I didn't imagine the improvement on the first attempt with no shroud, it really was on the money, but now it's not. I've just sent your mate an email hoping he won't mind helping me out, thanks again for the contact info. I don't wan't to ring him on a Sunday night so I've asked when is good to call. Bit depressed now! I paid £400 notes for this thing, which I was assured was a good deal as I got the divers tank and hose/regulator/adapter thingy with it. I'm new to PCP so didn't have any of the basics before this.

Hi SD,

With you now knowing its the silencer its a pretty easy fix really buddy.

There are enough good guys out here like marksmans mate that will probably fix the problem in 5 minutes.

You will find all that will need doing is a baffel may need widening a mil or 2 at the end of the shroud or the exit hole.

Dont rush to take it back if its as accurate as you say without the shroud fitted. I owned a .177 Logan Evo and i can say that they are very accurate rifles.

Dont know why i got rid of mine now I think it was to aid fund another rifle but i miss it now.

Si

Just thought I'd drop you guys a line to say thanks for all the friendly advice, I now have this sorted. I bought Mick's stripdown guide off him on eBay and had a lengthy chat on the phone, the guy is a hero! I'm now getting 1/2 inch groups at 40 yards consistently, that falls into my definition of accurate! That's rested mind, obviously! I was out rabbiting the other night and bagged 41! Like I said been out of the game for a while and I used to use a .22 rimmy for rabbiting, I'm wondering why really because this Logun is knocking them down cleanly at quite ambitious ranges. Normally I wouldn't attempt a headshot at more than say 25 or maybe 30yds with a non FAC air rifle but with this it's effortless, and ok .22 rimmy ammo isn't dear, but pellets are still far cheaper. Got a bit carried away really and gave all but 2 bunnies away to friends! I just moved house too and there appears to be a bit of a rodent problem, I wonder what will I do????? ;)

hi mate i own a logun mk1 and i assure you the logun is a very very good rifle mind you these early models are of the highest quality only down side is lack of shots per fill compared to the rapid

hi mate i own a logun mk1 and i assure you the logun is a very very good rifle mind you these early models are of the highest quality only down side is lack of shots per fill compared to the rapid

I have the S16S - I'm not sure how many shots I get per fill as yet, not had it long, but it's many, it's easily 150 ish shots.

• 12 years later...