Advice on which scope?

i have had a good number of scopes and the zeiss victory 6x24x56 is way ahead of the nightforce imo under the lamp. my mate had the 5.5x22x50 nf and we where out one night under the lamp. and my victory was alot better. he sold it soon as he see a ziess victory come up.

he was luck as he fell on the new fl glass model zeiss. mine is the older model zeiss. we havent compared them yet to see if there is much difference in the none fl glass to the fl glass yet

don't get me wrong the nf is a cracking scope. it has lots of moa for long range. the target turrets are dead repeatable. and the build is soild. in the day it doesn't matter and the glass is good. but under the lamp it isnt a patch on the victory.

and as most of my shooting is at night the victory wins hands down for me.

i also know a guy that has had swaro,nf,s&b high mag scopes.

and what he has now on all his cf rifles are zeiss victorys. he said for the price the nf is way behind on glass in the dark to the zeiss,swaro and s&b

Edited by jamie g

Once again thanks for all the good replies, Can i just state im not saying the S+B are no good and yes my one is the 2.5-10x56 klassic german type its just when i zoom up i loose smaller vermin behind the cross hairs as they get very thick and it makes it hard to shoot past 150yrds and ive always got on better with 2nd focal plane scopes. I just needed more experience on scopes at the time a lesson i have to live with thats why im being very careful this time round.

Tobias, its good to see you have an open mind about scopes, and although I personally prefer S & B, have a look at some of their reticles in a gun shop. Remember that with a first focal plane scope, the targets expands proportianly with the reticle- so if the reticle covers .10 of a rabbits head at 2.5x magnification, it will still cover .10 of a rabbits head at 10x, or 12x or even 25X magnification. It sounds like you may be using a reticle that is very thick in the first place, and not a duplex or triplex reticle that is very fine, at the point of aim.

Any scope in that price range should be good, some will outdo other on certain things like build quality,

i have a leupold mark4 lrt and cannot fault it build wise or optically, nightforce built lke a tank, but the larger mags are very poor in low light,

and yes we done a test with it on a friends gun, at the same time, and both S&B and leupold beat it in that certain light level,

you will not be disapointed if you go to the range and look through some before you buy, shot friends guns find out for yourself,

If i was to spend money again i'd go for a zesis conquest, optically excellent and build quality is also fab, and before anyone tells

you the warrenty doesn't stand overseas, IT DOES, my friends would' hold tracking, and they sent him a new scope....!!!!! once he returned the old one,

he was so impressed he's now got 4 conquests on 7 guns....

and yes he has too much money.....lol