OK Here we go. I have shot, hunted, dug, fished, you name it for probably 35 odd years and enjoyed every minute of it. All over the summer months my friends and I have attended the shows, game and country fairs all over N Ireland, Scotland and have even judged shows in England. I am sick, sore and tired of So Called Country folk who attend these shows and can find nothing else to do but criticise the results and outcome of these SOCIAL events of the Closed season. I have never met or spoke to people like Albert J Tettrinton and his associates but I have great admiration for their determination to fight our cause in these modern times. Nobody Knows what goes on behind the scenes to keep our country ways of life active. If it wasn,t for people like Albert, would N Ireland not be the same as the rest of the UK. Now just think before you answer that. My dogs satisfy me in the field and if they dont win a WEE trophy in the ring during the summer months then I shake the mans hand who beats me.The antis love nothing more than coming on here and watching us bicker and fight among us so, Wise up, Support the people who fight our corner, don,t go against them.

• Like 4

OK Here we go. I have shot, hunted, dug, fished, you name it for probably 35 odd years and enjoyed every minute of it. All over the summer months my friends and I have attended the shows, game and country fairs all over N Ireland, Scotland and have even judged shows in England. I am sick, sore and tired of So Called Country folk who attend these shows and can find nothing else to do but criticise the results and outcome of these SOCIAL events of the Closed season. I have never met or spoke to people like Albert J Tettrinton and his associates but I have great admiration for their determination to fight our cause in these modern times. Nobody Knows what goes on behind the scenes to keep our country ways of life active. If it wasn,t for people like Albert, would N Ireland not be the same as the rest of the UK. Now just think before you answer that. My dogs satisfy me in the field and if they dont win a WEE trophy in the ring during the summer months then I shake the mans hand who beats me.The antis love nothing more than coming on here and watching us bicker and fight among us so, Wise up, Support the people who fight our corner, don,t go against them.

Couldn't agree more. Like Terry I've been in the field since a young fella of 6 or 7, going ratting with my dad and his friends, and have done it all so to speak and enjoyed it immensely.When the summer months would roll around we'd attend the shows be they big or small, the biggest years ago for us was Adare now it's Birr Castle,but to be honest I never gave a second thought to what went into organising these, just enjoyed my day and went home.

This year I ran my first working dog show,a thing I'd always longed to do,and I now have a new found admiration for anyone who runs any show no matter what size.We have no idea just how small a minority we really are,in the run up to our show I had meetings with the people in the village and out of 300 odd people I was the only one who knew what a lurcher was.I couldn't believe that in rural Ireland these people had no idea what we're all about.That's a side of the bigger shows that I feel is important, bringing people together and letting them see what a valuable asset we are to the countryside. It's very easy for someone to ban something they know nothing about or don't understand.

Hats off to all show organisers they deserve our support.

Totally agree with Terryorr on what he has said,knowing him as I do it comes as a surprise that he has said something that makes sense ha ha.The people that organise these shows no matter how big or small are doing it for the benefit of the hunting,shooting,fishing community and also benefiting some very good charities.Like Terry I don't know Albert or any other people here thet run shows but I judged a few in England and seen what goes on behind the scenes,and I don't envey them there job.Let's shake the hands of these people that spend a lot of there time promoting our sport,it is for our benefit after all.And before any one comments about them not doing it for nothing,would you?

Excellent statement Terryorr.

I haven't worked with dogs for over 25 years but still have 4 Lurchers, 3 of which are rescues. Because they are not worked my open season is your closed and so they chase the plastic bag and sometimes trot around the ring. Every now and again we go home with a rossette and am justly proud of my hounds.

I help out at events and regularly stand out in the pouring rain or under a blistering sun for 10 hours or more (It starts before the punters arrive and finishes long after they have gone)and there is nothing worse than getting home logging onto sites such as this and reading about "who cheated who" and "how c**p the organisation was".

People need to remember that these events are for fun, entertainment and education of the Country Ways.

90% of the time when things do go wrong it's out of the hands of the organisors or the people running the individual events.

As I'm now a city dweller these events are my escape back to my memories of being a "Country Man".

How difficult it is to get volunteers to comit to helping on stands yet how many times have we heard the phrase its alright for you SWANNING

about at shows. We'll be leaving home for the drive to Perth at 5am to miss the traffic at Castlecarry onsite for 7am breakfast in the tent and then we will be on the stand all day answering questions meeting members old and new and hopefully seeing people off the various sites and

aquaintances from faraway that we maybe only see once a year and I nearly forgot you nearly always meet a blast from the past someone you've not seen for years WE'll be there drop by and say hello

Couldn't agree more.

Gamefairs are usually, well with the odd exception, well organised days out for anyone who enjoys country sports or indeed just the countryside.

However they also serve another purpose which is showing people who would ordinarily never come across field sports exactly what they are missing out on.

I have met many people at such fairs who are trying clay shooting or fly casting for the first time and are actually enjoying themselves and wondering why on earth they didn't do it years back.

Remember this in Scotland when we were fighting the Watson bill if it was'nt for the likes of the Scottish Working Dog Association getting their postcards signed and passing them on to MSPs and having a focal point to meet and motivate people we wouldnt have any terrierwork left

Barrie Wade will tell you if it was'nt for the NWTF and their member clubs who all rely on shows and fairs for their income we would all be Golfers.

Remember this in Scotland when we were fighting the Watson bill if it was'nt for the likes of the Scottish Working Dog Association getting their postcards signed and passing them on to MSPs and having a focal point to meet and motivate people we wouldnt have any terrierwork left

Barrie Wade will tell you if it was'nt for the NWTF and their member clubs who all rely on shows and fairs for their income we would all be Golfers.

GOLFERS!!!!!!!!!

No better way of ruining a walk in the country than playing Cross Country Hockey. Saying that some of them courses would make some excellent sites for a Country Fair.

On a more serious note I'm off to The Northants Country Fair this weekend, as a punter for a change, to show my Mum what all the fuss is about. And if she's up to it (going through Chemo at the moment) get her to show her Jack Russell. Definately NOT in a working dog category though.

GOLFERS!!!!!!!!!

No better way of ruining a walk in the country than playing Cross Country Hockey. Saying that some of them courses would make some excellent sites for a Country Fair.

On a more serious note I'm off to The Northants Country Fair this weekend, as a punter for a change, to show my Mum what all the fuss is about. And if she's up to it (going through Chemo at the moment) get her to show her Jack Russell. Definately NOT in a working dog category though.

Barrie Wade deserves a great deal of credit fir alerting me to the fact that there was no lobbying going on on the docking issue fior terriers at Stormont. The countrysports organisations had focused in gundogs. Barrie contacted me, supplied me with a great briefing paper which I sent to the committee. Francie Molly, MLA in particular took it up and terriers were exempt from docking restrictions. NI terrier owners owe Barrie a great debt!

Despite the fact that the the National Working Terrier Federation is the ONLY voice for the working terrierman some well known clubs are not members. Remember charity begins at home if you are thinking of running a show and giving a donation to charity don't miss out the NWTF one organization that punches well above its weight.