which bullet gun

HMR pro's:

Ballistic tipped bullets, which expand quickly when they hit bugs bunny/whatever. This means very quick death, but a lot of damage if a body shot.

Flatter trajectory.

HMR cons:

Expensive ammunition compared to .22lr.

Sonic crack from bullet traveling through the sound barrier.

.22lr pro's:

Cheap. To. Shoot.

Quieter to shoot than HMR if using subsonic bullets.

.22lr cons:

Ricochets, baaziiiiiiiinnng!

"Loopy" trajectory, require more thinking when shooting at animals/targets which are at different ranges.

It does make a difference what you want the rifle to do, and the land you shoot over also.

For me, the .22lr is a much more fun calibre to shoot than HMR.

HMR pro's:

Ballistic tipped bullets, which expand quickly when they hit bugs bunny/whatever. This means very quick death, but a lot of damage if a body shot.

Flatter trajectory.

HMR cons:

Expensive ammunition compared to .22lr.

Sonic crack from bullet traveling through the sound barrier.

.22lr pro's:

Cheap. To. Shoot.

Quieter to shoot than HMR if using subsonic bullets.

.22lr cons:

Ricochets, baaziiiiiiiinnng!

"Loopy" trajectory, require more thinking when shooting at animals/targets which are at different ranges.

It does make a difference what you want the rifle to do, and the land you shoot over also.

For me, the .22lr is a much more fun calibre to shoot than HMR.

cheers mate at leased you where helpful.atb

Back off with the piss-taking. We all had to learn sometime. Lurcher, the two calibres you are looking at to start with are .22lr and .17HMR. I, and I think most shooters, would say .22lr. It's a very versatile round, the most popular in the world. Can kill rabbits up to 120 yards but only if you are a really good shot. Think of it as a 80-100 yard gun. Rabbits, greys on the ground, crows and pigeons on the ground, even fox out to say 40 yards. Great fun for popping paper out of season. BUT! Don't even think about firing up into a tree! It can be lethal at 500 yards. Only ever shoot if you can see where the bullet will go if you miss. If you are new to firearms it's worth having a few sessions at a shooting club.

PM me if you want more detailed advice.

Ric

cheers mate at leased you where helpful.atb

No probs :thumbs:

One more thing about those two different calibres. While the moderated .22lr firing subsonics is very, very quiet actually shooting it, the loudest part of the operation is the thud of the bullet striking the rabbit.

The moderated HMR will have that crack from the bullet going so much faster, but the impact noise on the rabbit is much, much quieter.

What I and others have noticed is the HMR's quieter impact seems to confuse the rabbits, they know something is happening but they can't pinpoint where it's coming from.

So what does that mean. The thud impact from the .22lr seems to frighten the rabbits around your target and they can scatter/go to ground. The quieter impact of the HMR can confuse the rabbits around your target, they may stay put for a few moments allowing the shooter to shoot 2, 3 or4 rabbits in the same spot.

i,ve shot both same as many on here, but when i got my fac i opted for 17hmr and love it. if for rabbits and you want to eat them head shots out to 150yds and more if your happy at that. if not, body shots then go and pick the bits up.lol. stav

cheers for that lads,i have a 17hmr but its the noise that puts me off but everybody keeps saying to me i should of got a .22 as they are quieter.i was thinking of putting it in and get a .22 on my ticket but i like the hmr except the noise.will it ever be possible to get it as quiet as the .22 in anyway.

The HMR is supersonic. There is no way to suppress the sonic boom. The .22lr is normally used with subsonic ammo, and the muzzle crack can be absorbed by a good moderator. (That's as in SAK, not as in Sounder ...)

Ric

The HMR is supersonic. There is no way to suppress the sonic boom. The .22lr is normally used with subsonic ammo, and the muzzle crack can be absorbed by a good moderator. (That's as in SAK, not as in Sounder ...)

Ric

i like the hmr but thats what puts me off is the noise,i used it the other night and i no what people mean about the crack having rabbits sitting abit longer compaired to the thud off the .22.

In the end it comes down to yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice. I like .22lr but then I go back a lo-o-ng way. If you already have .17HMR stay with it, it's a very useful calibre.

Edited to add, why not add .22lr to your FAC? Cost you 25 notes but over 5 years cheap as chips

Edited by RicW

In the end it comes down to yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice. I like .22lr but then I go back a lo-o-ng way. If you already have .17HMR stay with it, it's a very useful calibre.

Edited to add, why not add .22lr to your FAC? Cost you 25 notes but over 5 years cheap as chips

i was thinking of that to mate but then i will have no room in my cabnet.i have a fac air rifel,hmr,410 and a semi auto and it a 4 gun cabnet and no room to fit another where it is mate.