22lr or 223 foxing

Hi guys, I will be putting in for my fac next month, just after some advice really, I need a rifle for foxing, And i aint sure whether to go for 22 lr or 223? I know they are two totally different guns but, one farm is 500 acre farm with open fields and the other is a 50 acre farm with a forest and public footpath going through it, although the path is a ramblers type of path. I need the rifle to keep foxes off the two farms because i have been putting game down. I would like to go for the 223 but I think im asking a lot on a first grant.

Hi guys, I will be putting in for my fac next month, just after some advice really, I need a rifle for foxing, And i aint sure whether to go for 22 lr or 223? I know they are two totally different guns but, one farm is 500 acre farm with open fields and the other is a 50 acre farm with a forest and public footpath going through it, although the path is a ramblers type of path. I need the rifle to keep foxes off the two farms because i have been putting game down. I would like to go for the 223 but I think im asking a lot on a first grant.

The answer to your question is up to what calibre is the land passed for? If it isn't you will need to get the land passed by the Police. I wouldn't use .22rf for fox unless is was close range (40 yards)

.223 is the best choice of the two but have you also considered a .22 hornet? My mate has one and it's a superb foxing tool

Hi I got one of my permissions authorised for 223 and it is only 200 acres on the larger one I am allowed up to 22-250. You shouldnt have a prob.I have a 50/60 acre horse paddock and my feo wouldn't let me shui anything bigger than 22 wmr. So I was ok for the lr and hmr. Put them all down like said above he or she can only say no and tell u what you can have instead atb 223

Edited by TWOTWOTHREE

I got an open ticket for my Hornet because the FEO realised that I needed to control foxes on smaller patches of land that were not passed for anything bigger than a .22 rimfire. I explained this to her and she agreed I needed something for the charlies. I also get to use my rifles through my job every now and then, so the Hornet comes in useful there too. I've a closed ticket for my .223 to use on specified land, when I decide to get one.

When i poped into the gunshop, the guy said there are far more foxes shot with a 22 lr than any other calibre, however i have been calling them in to shoot with the shotgun, but the local farm has kids sleeping at night and i dont want to go blasting through the dead of the night. Is there many guns available on 22 hornet? And also as i have filled the application out, should i leave the calibre slot empty and send it too them attached with a letter explaining why? Thanks for the replies guys!