Accuracy International AW .308

Hi Dave

A friend of mine is a police officer, and a meber of the tactical firearms squad and an instructor on the ranges, he's been in all his life and has a wealth of practical hands on experience of all sorts of rifles handguns etc, I wont go into more detail about him or what he does. We were discussing various calibres and makes one evening over a glass of highland spring water :icon_redface: , He told me that his force recently started using these AI rifles. He told me that he has never used such a consistently accurate and proffesionally built bit of kit in all his years service. I dont know what make model or what the mileage was, as I only have a .308 bog standard Parker Hale for larger game.But he was very impressed. I hope this is of some use to you from a proffessional hands on aspect. I think what he told me to finish was "I've yet to see better, there is none better"

All the best with your quest .

Kind Regards

Bootsha

Hi Dave

A friend of mine is a police officer, and a meber of the tactical firearms squad and an instructor on the ranges, he's been in all his life and has a wealth of practical hands on experience of all sorts of rifles handguns etc, I wont go into more detail about him or what he does. We were discussing various calibres and makes one evening over a glass of highland spring water :icon_redface: , He told me that his force recently started using these AI rifles. He told me that he has never used such a consistently accurate and proffesionally built bit of kit in all his years service. I dont know what make model or what the mileage was, as I only have a .308 bog standard Parker Hale for larger game.But he was very impressed. I hope this is of some use to you from a proffessional hands on aspect. I think what he told me to finish was "I've yet to see better, there is none better"

All the best with your quest .

Kind Regards

Bootsha

Thank you for you input . . . . I think an Accuracy International platform is going to be my choice for a replacement to my current rifle, I just have to decide if I stay with .308 or move to .338

The advantage of staying with .308 is it's a straight swop on my FAC and I only have to raid my pocket money.

Thanks everyone for all the input.

I use .308 AWP, with 3-12 x 50 S & B MDR. Works extremely well with Fed 168gr HPBT, or Hornady equiv with ballistic tip. Cheek piece not the most comfortable in prone, but this can be adapted with neoprene, chamois etc. The weight of the rifle along with mod (use atra), greatly assists accuracy.

Also use .338 with same setup and lapua ammo, no mod, to much the same effect.

It's not the most user friendly rifle for stalking, due to weight, but for target shooting, ambushing fox, or large game, its ideal.

What land mammal is there residing in the British Isles that a .308 wont deal with ?

I have not done anywhere near as much stalking as most on here, and my knowledge of various loads, powders, bullet size / weights, fast burn powder/ slow burn powder that many on here posses is negligable, but, .308 calibre has done me for a number of years, and "done" quite a number of larger species. Just my thought on bigger calibre's etc.

Regards

B

What land mammal is there residing in the British Isles that a .308 wont deal with ?

I have not done anywhere near as much stalking as most on here, and my knowledge of various loads, powders, bullet size / weights, fast burn powder/ slow burn powder that many on here posses is negligable, but, .308 calibre has done me for a number of years, and "done" quite a number of larger species. Just my thought on bigger calibre's etc.

Regards

B

The 308 is fine but when you start to extend the range to 1000 yards plus the 308 makes the transition from supersonic to subsonic not the best situation for ultimate accuracy the bigger guns have the edge at distance as they stay supersonic longer and have better ballistics from heavier bullets with better ballistic coefficients.

Note I am not suggesting you would shoot game at these ranges.

Regards

B

The 308 is fine but when you start to extend the range to 1000 yards plus the 308 makes the transition from supersonic to subsonic not the best situation for ultimate accuracy the bigger guns have the edge at distance as they stay supersonic longer and have better ballistics from heavier bullets with better ballistic coefficients.

Fair comment Dan, I have never shot at these sort of distances that you are reffering to, but I can see the point your making, and it's a valid one. This must be one of the first threads I have ever seen on thl where there hasn't been any bitching etc, a very constructive thread this one, lets hope it start a trend !!

Kind Regards

Regards

B

Fair comment Dan, I have never shot at these sort of distances that you are reffering to, but I can see the point your making, and it's a valid one. This must be one of the first threads I have ever seen on thl where there hasn't been any bitching etc, a very constructive thread this one, lets hope it start a trend !!

Kind Regards

My longest shot on game has been a 650 meter shot on a Highland Red Deer across a valley with a lot of help from the stalker who knew his ground very well.

Steel plate a 1000 meter is a very popular these days; the Accuracy Internation AW .308 with the 26" barrel is advertised as spot on out to 1200 meter so I think that's the way I'll be going; I should have no problem with the rest.

wouldn't a .338 be a little OTT for deer? plus that thing is HEAVY, don't they weigh something like 14 lbs without ammo or scope? I wouldn't want to be lugging that thing up hill and down dale that's for sure! buuuut, they are pretty cool, and for long range shooting, if you have the dough, I don't suppose they can really be beat....