best centerfire for foxes

They all make em dead!

Just depends on how much mess you want to make!

My 223 and 220 swift are my rifkes of choice but it depends on what mood im in.

If I feel like lamping out of the jeep then my 20 inch barreled 223 is the business.

If I feel like lamping on the quad then my swift.

If i feel like making a big hole in mr fox then my 6.5x47 or 6.5x284 comes out to play!

Different strokes for many folk.

They will all work just fine.

Dam it I even have shot them in the head with my .22lr.

:)

Edited by 6.5 shooter

what do you think is the best centerfire for foxes .222,223,2250,243 what do you lot think?

Shot more fox with my .22 Hornet than with any other gun, perfect for Sub 200yd shots.. Quieter and cheaper ( if reloaded ) :thumbs:

LD

6.5 shooter, you are lucky to have a fox condition on your fac for .22lr

I personally find all the calibers are good with no wind and out to 200 yds, but from experience having taken a vixen a 250 yards in force 8 gale with .243 shooting a 55grain factory winchester round. I think the the 22 250 & 243 are great if there is any wind!

what do you think is the best centerfire for foxes .222,223,2250,243 what do you lot think?

I use a 22.250 Ruger No1, with my handloads, my buddy uses a .243, I used to have a .223? All of them are just fine, the reality is at 'normal' ranges / conditions

all of the above are the same, the margins are very close in practical terms none of them are 'best'.

The age and condition of your rifle but mostly the scope you have is really the defining 'fine line' line between 'only' OK and 'the best'.

I have a .270 for Deer, but my '.243 buddy' has just one rifle for both Foxing and Deer, so I guess he can not ever have the wrong rifle with him can he?

A query for you reloaders out there? I have found after many trials and tribulations that 52 grain Sierra Matchking (non expanding) bullets are the best performing

.22 cetrefire bullets that money can buy, foxes don't seem to walk away because they are target bullets, even though all the 'paperwork' suggests otherwise? Nosler

55 grain Varmints and Hornady 55 grain V-Max are not in the frame, even though the 'blurb' would not suggest this? What do you think? What is your experience??

There isn't a best centrefire for foxes, as someone else suggested.

I have efficiently removed foxes with all my current tools, .22lr, HMR, .22WMR, .223, .243, etc etc (and a few I no longer have).

There is only the right tool for the job in the right hands in any given situation! :thumbs: