.17hmr rifles

• 1 month later...

Same as a lot of the lads one here CZ. I have one of the new CZ same as jackiboi a 455 laminate thumbhole stock with a nice varmint barrel.

Easy 1/2" groups at 100m, had a few crows today all out past 150m, farthest was at 171m. I love this little calibre.

Even at 250m its only dropping 18" and with a 1mph wind i had 2" of drift, so its only on 2.5 mildots of holdover. I did a bit of paper punching today and 3 shot group at 250m was just under 2.5".

Oh and the triggers on the new 455 models? Much better and break extremely well, far better than the old ones.

I have been using the 'gunsim' ballistics software on my blackberry and a quick ping of a target, dial in the range and it gives you the drop and click values which have proved to be extremely accurate. Rabbits at 275m, just enter the ammo, then the temp and any winds speed plus the distance and dial in the clicks, job done.

Cant go wrong. Love it to bits and love shooting this rifle.

i am still wondering which hmr rifle to buy. i was going for a annie 1517 but wondering now is there any cheaper ones which are good, like CZ .. marlin...sako

i want to spend about the 850 mark inc scope and mod

cheers

i bought a cz 455, varmint barrel,laminated thumbhole stock,MTC tiapan 4-16x50 scope,sac mod,gun slip,ammo+bore snake all for £850! what a gun! No probs with trigger.Shot loads with it quite a few @ 120+yards head shots!

Cz 452 16" heavy warming barrel with rimfire magic trigger kit, is as good as any. Rabbits and crows beyond 200yds in still conditions. And No, trigger kits are not illegal but don't fit the very light one unless tgt shooting. When fitted it beat the trigger on my accuracy international AWP.

cheers for the info guys, i rather like the cz's anyway.

i have been told by a gun shop that the trigger kits are illegal because they go off if the gun is knocked or anything is this true or just a way to buy something better

cheers

FFS...ask the smart arse under which Law they are illegal!

This subject goes round and round.

The Anschutz are excellent and well made, the fact is the CZ Range of Rimfires is unsurpassed for accuracy, reliability and price.

People will buy whatever they want for their own reasons, but you will NEVER find you need anything more than a CZ Rimfire in the field, personally I hate the Heavy barrels, CZ are field tools, no need for heavy barrels, but some like them, simple as!

Here's a few of mine.....

post-10759-0-28848900-1311444881_thumb.jpg

post-10759-0-53001500-1311444941_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deker

This subject goes round and round.

The Anschutz are excellent and well made, the fact is the CZ Range of Rimfires is unsurpassed for accuracy, reliability and price.

People will buy whatever they want for their own reasons, but you will NEVER find you need anything more than a CZ Rimfire in the field, personally I hate the Heavy barrels, CZ are field tools, no need for heavy barrels, but some like them, simple as!

Here's a few of mine.....

Agreed :thumbs:

i am still wondering which hmr rifle to buy. i was going for a annie 1517 but wondering now is there any cheaper ones which are good, like CZ .. marlin...sako

cheers

picked up CZ 452 Varmint up tuesday ,zeroed 1"high at 100yrd and it was point and shoot from 30 to 125 yrd. i'm well impressed,and like everybody says trigger slightly heavy so putting mine right with a trigger kit,and no there not illegal.You wont be dissapointed.

atb,pip

People really overate this calibre, dont get me wrong I own and use regularly a CZ452 .17 HMR, have done for a few years and yes it will take rabbits out at 200 yards BUT a slight breeze and the bullet is all over the place. There was a recent article in one of the magazines and they tested the HMR out to ranges up to 300 yards and with just a 5mph cross wind it will send your bullet off 45inch!! :blink:

Yes its fast yes its flat but it has serious flaws unless perfect conditions.

I much prefer the good old .22 rimmy for my vermin

cheers

picked up CZ 452 Varmint up tuesday ,zeroed 1"high at 100yrd and it was point and shoot from 30 to 125 yrd. i'm well impressed,and like everybody says trigger slightly heavy so putting mine right with a trigger kit,and no there not illegal.You wont be dissapointed.

atb,pip

So, at what distance is your HMR zeroed?

People really overate this calibre, dont get me wrong I own and use regularly a CZ452 .17 HMR, have done for a few years and yes it will take rabbits out at 200 yards BUT a slight breeze and the bullet is all over the place. There was a recent article in one of the magazines and they tested the HMR out to ranges up to 300 yards and with just a 5mph cross wind it will send your bullet off 45inch!! :blink:

Yes its fast yes its flat but it has serious flaws unless perfect conditions.

I much prefer the good old .22 rimmy for my vermin

Anyone who considers the HMR an everyday 200 yard, let alone 300 yard tool, needs their Care in the Community Day Release canceling!

I have not read anybody on here saying the 17hmr is an everyday 200+ rifle. They are all saying it is capable of it, and will easily do it in the right conditions. Yes it gets affected by wind, but so does every bullet, and if you are good enough to read the wind it can do what it likes- aim off or adjust!

.22 rf 100 yd max.

.17hmr like a laser out to 130 when zeroed at 110.

If you want a rifle as a plinker, or hit and miss, thats up to you, but the .17hmr is certainly not overated!

cheers

atb,pip

So, at what distance is your HMR zeroed?

not been to range but its around 17 (ish) yards and 135-40 (ish) yards

post-14609-0-42569300-1311532971_thumb.jpg

Edited by pipcock