Well got news for you fellas my dad works in making and designing these types of vaccines and also designs and test performance enhancing products for dogs. Boosters ARE nessecery now as they've change the way the vaccine works before it used to give you dog small amounts of each virus to train and teach your dogs immune system to fight the viruses and as a result have better immunity for life, similar to our meningitis jabs and such, well that's all changed. company's who make the vaccines realised much more money could be made by altering the vaccine to work in another method it now works in a different manner instead of improving the immune system it works by staying active in the dogs body in the same way flea drops work. It steps in before the immune system to distroy the virus and after 12 months that sytems disapates then it's just luck if your dog doesn't come in contact with it if you dont have a bosster to put that defence back. They call this new vaccine the live vaccine I think this is why now dogs need it every 12 months as it only stay live for that amount of time, I'm lucky with my dad being in the business to know these things but to you guys who think the vaccine last longer then 12 months are mistaken. Vets obviously love this new vaccine as more money is made and same to the companies who manufacture the vaccine . Hope I've helped clear this up for you lads and lasses and just hope it sinks in lol sorry if people think I'm being know it all just trying to help

i did'nt know that i thought it was it was just the vet's being over charging fcukers as usual but how long has this been the case because my oldest dog is 10 years old and i've only ever giving him 1 booster about 5 years ago

for sake of a tenner mine get done not worth losing dogs :thumbs: :thumbs:and i knew that anyway spoke to a few vets but good to be letting it be known cause theres been another outbreak of parvo wiping old and young alike that havent been kept jabbed so cheers pal :thumbs:

A vaccine would be impossible to cover all strains so I've been told as like any virus they evolve but most of the common strains the new vaccine has a defence for as it works in a different way it stops the virus before the immune system gets to work hence why it's more versitile. My dad did say tho this new vaccine is 100 times better then the old as it's defence is better, just only last for 12 months and by say 13-14 months you got no protection at all it would be like your dogs never been injected

Edited by paulsmithy83

A vaccine would be impossible to cover all strains so I've been told as like any virus they evolve but most of the common strains the new vaccine has a defence for as it works in a different way it stops the virus before the immune system gets to work hence why it's more versitile. My dad did say tho this new vaccine is 100 times better then the old as it's defence is better, just only last for 12 months and by say 13-14 months you got no protection at all it would be like your dogs never been injected

So, how long, has this ''new'' vaccine been out? :hmm:

what brand of vaccines are they? i know the strain of parvo used in the eurican vaccine and the nobivac parvo vaccine are derived from strains originating in differant countrys. my vet seems to know nothing about these new shorter lasting vaccines and recomend that i get my dogs vaccinated for distemper, parvo, hepatitis every 3 years and lepto-2 and parainfluenza every year. he uses the nobivac brand sometimes the canigen brand of lepto2.

• Like 1

heard the same like flue jab people have to have it every year cause most viruses mutate and become stonger an more resillient so keep up to date with the boosters :thumbs:

Well got news for you fellas my dad works in making and designing these types of vaccines and also designs and test performance enhancing products for dogs. Boosters ARE nessecery now as they've change the way the vaccine works before it used to give you dog small amounts of each virus to train and teach your dogs immune system to fight the viruses and as a result have better immunity for life, similar to our meningitis jabs and such, well that's all changed. company's who make the vaccines realised much more money could be made by altering the vaccine to work in another method it now works in a different manner instead of improving the immune system it works by staying active in the dogs body in the same way flea drops work. It steps in before the immune system to distroy the virus and after 12 months that sytems disapates then it's just luck if your dog doesn't come in contact with it if you dont have a bosster to put that defence back. They call this new vaccine the live vaccine I think this is why now dogs need it every 12 months as it only stay live for that amount of time, I'm lucky with my dad being in the business to know these things but to you guys who think the vaccine last longer then 12 months are mistaken. Vets obviously love this new vaccine as more money is made and same to the companies who manufacture the vaccine . Hope I've helped clear this up for you lads and lasses and just hope it sinks in lol sorry if people think I'm being know it all just trying to help

Which one - live or modified live?

and which company does your dad work for?

most vets give live vaccines my own dogs have been done with dhppi,

A live vaccine is a vaccine in which the live infectious agent is weakened through chemical or physical processes in order to produce an immune response without causing the severe effects of the disease in the animal that is vaccinated.

recomendations from the data sheet Booster vaccination

It is recommended that dogs be revaccinated with canine distemper virus, canine adenovirus and canine parvovirus every 3 years and against canine parainfluenzavirus every year.

Modified live vaccines.

A modified live vaccine is one that utilizes an attenuated (weakened) bacteria or virus to elicit an immune response,

they give a stronger protection, often over a quicker period of time. Additionally, they cost less and require minimal dosage. On the downside, they have the potential to become active and trigger disease, especially in an animal with a weak immune system.

There is not many places in the country that use the modified live ones.

These are all the vaccines that are being used in this country.

http://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/pdf/Vaccines_authorisedDog.pdf

Duramune,Nobivac and VANGUARD are the ones that vets use mostly.

• Like 1

A live vaccine is a vaccine in which the live infectious agent is weakened through chemical or physical processes in order to produce an immune response without causing the severe effects of the disease in the animal that is vaccinated.

It is recommended that dogs be revaccinated with canine distemper virus, canine adenovirus and canine parvovirus every 3 years and against canine parainfluenzavirus every year.

Modified live vaccines.

A modified live vaccine is one that utilizes an attenuated (weakened) bacteria or virus to elicit an immune response,

they give a stronger protection, often over a quicker period of time. Additionally, they cost less and require minimal dosage. On the downside, they have the potential to become active and trigger disease, especially in an animal with a weak immune system.

http://www.vmd.defra...thorisedDog.pdf

i use the VANGUARD what type is that

Edited by lurcher330

Modified live vaccines.

http://www.vmd.defra...thorisedDog.pdf

i use the VANGUARD what type is that

The vanguard ones use - live attenuated.

An attenuated vaccine is a vaccine created by reducing the virulence of a pathogen, but still keeping it viable (or "live"). Attenuation takes an infectious agent and alters it so that it becomes harmless or less virulent. These vaccines contrast to those produced by "killing" the virus (inactivated vaccine).

With vanguard they still state on their data sheet, it only lasts for a year.

Dosage and administration Reconstitute one vial of the freeze-dried fraction (Vanguard DA2Pi) aseptically using the contents of one vial of the liquid fraction (Vanguard CPV-L) as diluent. Shake well and immediately inject the entire contents of the reconstituted vial (1 ml) subcutaneously. Do not use chemically sterilized syringes or needles, as these will interfere with the effectiveness of the vaccine. Basic Vaccination Scheme: Puppies younger than 10 weeks of age: Two doses of Vanguard 7 at least 14 days apart. The first dose can be given as young as 7 weeks of age. The second dose should not be given until at least 10 weeks of age. Puppies 10 weeks of age and older: A single dose of Vanguard 7, followed by a single dose of Vanguard Lepto ci at least 14 days later. Booster Vaccination: Leptospiral components – annual booster vaccination is recommended. Viral components – annual booster vaccination is recommended. However, should Veterinary Surgeons conduct a risk-benefit analysis for individual animals to determine the frequency of revaccination with Vanguard 7, they should be aware of the following information. Serological data has indicated that most dogs, when given at least the first annual booster, can maintain protective levels of immunity to the viral components of Vanguard 7 for up to 4 years.

Modified live vaccines.

http://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/pdf/Vaccines_authorisedDog.pdf

I'm not sure being honest mate what I posted was my best interpretation of what my dad told me, some times my old man gets way to technical for me forgetting I havnt got the same brain power as him lol might be best I get him to post on here on this topic for me might be able to explain things better rather then someone just copying and pasteing an article. As this is his area of expertise