Egging on a foxing dog

Just wanting to pick a few of the more experienced/knowledgeable peoples minds......I shoot quite a few foxes and use my dog to arrest any that try to leave the scene once hit!!

BUT

when they are moving he takes them with vigor really slams into them and shakes them a bit but he is sooo soft mouthed, he rarely kills them, he shakes for a bit then relaxes they bite him he lets go they move he slams into them and the cycle starts again....at one point tonight i had shot a dog fox and they are fairly large my way had been shot with .222 but the shot had clipped the wire fence and just torn a hole in its throat...gonna die but the way it ran you would have thought i missed

so i sent my dog and he ragged a little several times, at one point the fox was going for him and he was ducking and weaving not backing off but not wanting to get bitten. i was trying to get it from behind, we must have looked a state!!! lol

edit to say>> its like he's to soft mouthed he caught a rat tonight as well and but after retrieving it was fuct but alive!! and he got bit!! thats the second rat he caught got bit and brought it back alive

when with another dog he just goes in like a steam train and kills with a neck hold?? even if the other dog is nowhere near, like he showing off?!!!

the problem is i only have 1 lurcher and no mates!!! how can i get him in on the kill when its one on one??

Edited by dickyboy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he'll be 2 at beginning of august

Its strange he won't throw in the towel and he's mixed it with 20 odd foxes now(i know this ain't many but) and got quite a bit of stick and always goes in hard, but doesn't kill he has killed once while running with another dog on a shotgun pricked fox and the other time the other dog was still on slip as somebody wanted to show the pup a dog going on fox and he killed it no probs got bit once and killed it second bite but when me and him just won't kill he hold and shake and bay and pull and nip like a baying deer dog......same when doubled up on deer when on his own would pull by leg and hold leg, he ran one doubled up and pulled it and went on the neck only ever necks them since and he's a b*****d to get off with another dog

Somebody must live next to you with a good fox dog.If I was you I would look around for a lad with a guaranteed fox dog and get him to go with you on your permission (he might be a bit reluctant to take you on his places).Let your dog see the dog do its stuff and see how your dog reacts but hold him back.I had a dog a few years ago a bit like yours ,so I took him out with a mates good dog a few times letting him watch the action. It didnt seem to be making any difference, so later on one night we saw another fox and let both the dogs off at it.It was like flicking a switch I honestly dont know if my dog had pulled it becuse he was confident he was with another dog or because he was jelous of the other dog getting his prize.Whichever reason it was my dog never looked back and made a decent fox dog.Like has already been said though not all dogs take to doing foxes,and some dogs mature later than others.

Edited by MickC

Lets face it, if its not killing them now, its never really going to, anyone who mentions this breed should be doing this and should be guaranteed fox killers. Nothings guaranteed in any cross, some kill when doubled up, some jib when solo, others will grab and hold them but not kill them.... would you call these fox dogs...don't be fooled.

Lets face it, if its not killing them now, its never really going to, anyone who mentions this breed should be doing this and should be guaranteed fox killers. Nothings guaranteed in any cross, some kill when doubled up, some jib when solo, others will grab and hold them but not kill them.... would you call these fox dogs...don't be fooled.

got to agree some dogs got it and some havent its a fact of life

Youhave cut to the chase Ian ,Ive a 27 in dog here out of Lucky he will take fox [or did before the ban ]doubled up but will only bowl and fence with a fox if on his own,he isnt and never will be a fox dog ,I got him for coursing so thats ok,Ive a 10 month old whip/colliexbeddie,who has been on two genuine accidental foxes ,daylight flushes from cover ,both time he has latched on and though nipped wpuldnt let go,he may have the makings but the big dog though powerful and strong ,he took Munties before the ban ,doesnt want it ,at least not solo,dogs either have it or they dont,in my limited experience some can be brought along with a good foxer ,but others just dont have the fire for Charlie,I dont call them jackers ,if they are competent on other quarry,some little dogs will sail in while bigger ones come off,down in the south east where I live the Bull x is very popularas they dont take much stick doing the job ,but Ive seen a couple that were a too slow for other quarry and often relied on a faster dog to bowl the fox so they could come up and end things which I have to say they did very quickly.As an aside the last few time Ive been out on the lamp Ive seen as many foxes as rabbits.

If he's still nailing foxes...........hes doing his job....but it depend what exactly you want to do with him......

Has he ever had a nip offa a fox? We had a lurcher that took a nasty wack on the eye................after that it didn't feck about anymore.....and was straight in..job done

Its up to you........if he;s not got the knackers for it, then you could hang on in there, or get something with a bigger jaw..

If he's still nailing foxes...........hes doing his job....but it depend what exactly you want to do with him......

Has he ever had a nip offa a fox? We had a lurcher that took a nasty wack on the eye................after that it didn't feck about anymore.....and was straight in..job done

Its up to you........if he;s not got the knackers for it, then you could hang on in there, or get something with a bigger jaw..

What's a bigger jaw for? The dog is 31kg and the average fox is about 16lb....the problem is clearly not a physical one.

If he was jacking i would understand but he really loves to go into them, hard to explain, the other dog weren't running when he caught and killed one we were 200yards away!!

he has been bitten fairly hard by 20 odd foxes and retrieved 30 odd dead ones, yes sometimes i do kill them!! lol

he has only been into one unshot fox that gave a good run,

i think what nijinski and MickC said is very useful and i'll be trying these.....the problem is i don't have running permission i have lamping permission to a gun and i'm sneaky and run stuff but not foxes, shame some people would cut their arm off to see what i see........i've shot 11 6 others have been killed by various people and when i went out sunday morning i saw 11 on 1/8th of the estate, none shootable cos of roads!!!

i think i'll let him get stuck into some of the cubs when they come, will this help??

and if the only mate with dogs hasn't left for france who i'm just managing to work into coming along(strict keeper me and my dog alone) could be made to be useful