Ria my BMH first stalk

Well she is now just over 15 weeks and i have had her out walking round sheep cows etc and a bit of tracking but not much.It was time to take the wee girl out and a nice quite walk over the barley at 4 in the morning was on the cards. We had a few upsets at the start like forgetting my bolt and having to drive back like a mad man.Then when i finally got ready opened up her box to see a sea of sick pouring out the from the mesh door .Not a great start to her first stalking expedition. Got to high spot and saw a really large buck over to my left about 250 meters the ground there was real rough and i didn't want to tax the pup to much so i moved on to a new area and looked down not a thing in site so i sat my fact ass down and waited and waited good for the pup you see a bit of discipline :whistling: . Then out to my left a large buck chasing a small buck not with real gusto but enough to be covering ground quite fast i readied my self and crawled out on to the flat barley and took him to a nice shoulder shot. The pup was doing a wee bit of whimpering but hey there was still a buck in front of us at 70 mtr. :icon_eek: first outing and a medal buck she might be worth taking out again some time.

28-5-2011009.jpg

periurbanbuckandria.jpg

nice looking dog and deer.

its always nice to bring a young dog on and see it doing well, dreaming about the potential stalks and a blossoming friendship.

always hard not to judge it on its predisestors talents though.

good luck

ps is that the housing estate where alot of the famous photos have been taken?

Toby i have had the wee girl only for a few weeks looks like she is easy trained but lets wait and see when her nose takes over.lol The scheme jon is that and the same mate and has given me and others some good sport that for sure. PS foxy wish you well getting number three.Good job i didn't put up that picture on the other site i would have been hammered for a safe back stop lol. I will keep every one updated on her progress warts and all.

Glad to see your grandson is allowing you to take his dog out. LOL

A cracking young bitch. Get her onto the blood trails. They are highly intelligent dogs that need "work" to hone their inbred and natural skills. With BMHs you as the handler must also learn to recognise what the dog is telling you so that tracking becomes a partnership.

PS Nice buck

Yes 6pointer she is very steady to the air rifle and the unmoderated .22. Only a few shots from each as i don't think pups like any sustained banging at all until they know there is a reward. Leydon she is on small blood trails and seems to eat them up for fun but success breeds success i feel so i will go at it slow and make sure she succeeds as much as possible,.

Well she is now just over 15 weeks and i have had her out walking round sheep cows etc and a bit of tracking but not much.It was time to take the wee girl out and a nice quite walk over the barley at 4 in the morning was on the cards. We had a few upsets at the start like forgetting my bolt and having to drive back like a mad man.Then when i finally got ready opened up her box to see a sea of sick pouring out the from the mesh door .Not a great start to her first stalking expedition. Got to high spot and saw a really large buck over to my left about 250 meters the ground there was real rough and i didn't want to tax the pup to much so i moved on to a new area and looked down not a thing in site so i sat my fact ass down and waited and waited good for the pup you see a bit of discipline :whistling: . Then out to my left a large buck chasing a small buck not with real gusto but enough to be covering ground quite fast i readied my self and crawled out on to the flat barley and took him to a nice shoulder shot. The pup was doing a wee bit of whimpering but hey there was still a buck in front of us at 70 mtr. :icon_eek: first outing and a medal buck she might be worth taking out again some time.

28-5-2011009.jpg

periurbanbuckandria.jpg

well done ria :D

oh and you wireviz !

its a nice feeling when they get their first,it seems to bring them on with a spurt !i needed to go back home and get my young dog for a witnessed stalk i was doing last january (his first under battle conditions)the guy the aw used could not be contacted and the conditions were appalling,peeing it down and it was 5 hrs after the shot before i got back and put the dog on the scent (long story),i still keep smiling when i think about it, hands and knees under thick WET sitka spruce for 200yards and straight to the beast!( he wasnt quite sure what to make of a real carcass but has the measure now :whistling: ).As long as you keep up the basics she will be fine . i agree fully with your comments about not liking sustained banging ! good luck with her for the future .

I met one of these Hounds on Friday, it was a lovely little dog, very timid but it was in a crowd of people so maybe a bit over awed with the situation?

Looks like she's getting there and as you said, slowly slowly catchy monkey!!