as above , my camera just will not focus properly on either manual or auto,is it human error or do i need to get it back to canon ?, it does need a bloody good clean and this could be the problem , any ideas?, cheers

It could be just the contacts on the back of the lens, just get a bit white spirit and just give them a little rub, if that fail's then its more likely to be an issue with your lens than the camera body, a good way to test it is to borrow a lens off somone, if it still does the same you know its the body, if you don't know anyone that has a lens take your camera into Curry's or somewhere like that and ask them if you can test a lens on your body :thumbs:

Hi there,

I don't mean to be rude, but if the camera is doing this with all your lenses, then the first thing to look at is your technique.

When focusing, do you pay attention to which of the AF points the camera is choosing? If the point it uses as priority isn't over your subject then obv the subject won't be in focus. You can choose to use just the centre AF point. It may be worth trying this for a while so you are sure exactly which part of the frame will be in focus, ie always the centre. Otherwise, just pay attention to which of the AF points goes red when the focussed 'beep' goes off.

If you're still having trouble after that then it may be that a trip to the repair centre is needed to give it a check up.

Or, as Andre says, that the issue is shutter speed on occasion and not focus at all. It's relatively easy to tell the difference. Blur due to slow shutter speed is usually an image with a 'trail' type effect. The blur may be more on one side of the subject, usually the direction of movement. Checking your EXIF data will confirm this. If most of the shots that are blurred are at slow shutter speeds (esp if the worse the blur the slower the shutter speed) then that's the likely cause. Focus blur is a general softness all around the subject.

Thanks and regards,

- Ritchie Michael.

Wildlife Photographer : www.robertofabbri-wildlife.com

Edited by Ritchie Michael

Moley which lens is it thats giving you grief the standard kit lens ? If it is, try pulling the front of the lens, giving it a moderate pull, see if it will auto focus then...

maybe i should have bin a bit more specific,

when i,m looking thru the view finder, everything is out of focus and i,m having to move the focus ring back and forth while taking shots on manual, i,m managing to get some good shots , but i,m just not sure if i,m getting an in-focus shot or not until i download onto the computer and i,m taking loads of pictures to make sure at least 1 is in focus and even then it doesn,t always happen , i,m thinking its the viewfinder not working properly with the camera focus,the pics are just not as crisp as they were

thanks for the help , i,m gonna have to play about a bit but i reckon its a trip to canon ,

i got the same camera,cracking piece of kit,if you lived close you could try one of my lenses,maybe dust inside the body,mine,s a bit rough on the outside,cant be helped when your useing it outside with dog,s n fert,s etc,in all weather,s,but if your not gettimg a clear view through the view finder it sound,s like the mirror may be dirty,try a look on cannonfodder forum,lot,s of info,,,ian

Moley its a common problem with the 17-55mm canon lens shipped with the 350d, mine done the same awhile back, wouldn't focus in auto, done a google search others were saying take it to dealer and repair, whilst some said give the front manual focus ring a sharp tug and try and operate it, they must just stick now and then for some reason...

well its fixed , i give it a clean and buggered about with the knurled black ring, seems everything is how it should be, thanks for the help folks

It gets knocked sometimes in transit etc matey. Tricked me once, so its well worth keeping your eye on it......happy Snapping... :thumbs:

as i said at the start that black knurled wheel is the diopter adjustment

see what happens when you use the correct term for things, a thick northerner don,t have a clue what your on about :thumbs: thanks again dudes, i,ll bear all the advice in mind next time something goes wrong , or just ask on here