SGC granted! (to my surprise)...

Morning all! I'm a noob, so should really post in the newbies section first but thought I would let everyone know the ins and outs of my SGC application first.

I'm 22, and serving in the army (though leaving at the end of the year). I applied for my SGC over 6 months ago, and have just received it :) and yes, it was to my surprise!!! I have been in trouble with the police from an early age, nothing too serious but enough of a pattern to give cause for concern according to the FEO. I also had anger management not too long ago. I got the impression that other things they weren't too happy about included a couple of cases that went to court but were thrown out (lack of evidence). The FEO also informed me that due to the fact alot of the trouble I have been in in the past was due to drink, they wanted to make sure i'm not a nightmare anymore when I drink, which I thought was fair enough. A couple of tips for anyone in the same situation as myself; image is everything in the interview IMHO, and I don't just mean the way you're dressed. Try to appear knowledgable and passionate about the sport, instead of giving the impression that you 'just fancy a blast every now and again'. BE HONEST. I can't emphasise this enough. FAC/SGC applications are exempt from the 5 year period whereby you don't have to declare an offence, so mention everything when it comes to your interview. I had to go into detail about every offence committed previously. A number of things that went for me; I referred myself to anger management, the FEO said that it showed that I recognised a problem as opposed to being told I had one.

The last time I was naughty was a fair while back, maybe 3 or 4 years? I am now married, and settled down. I don't drink anymore (not that I ever had a problem, but I turned into an idiot so I decided to cut it out altogether). Another lad was brought up in N. Yorks, his father was a gamkeeper and he has held SGC/FAC for a number of years. I told the FEO that I have had a few chats with him, and he has shown me a few things, so he seemed happy that I have been taking an active interest in things. In all, thanks to Lothian and Borders police, thanks to my FEO (very knowledgeable and understanding), and even though I have been told to wait at least a year before trying for my FAC, we will see how long it takes to do the DSC1 course and get some permission :) atb, Dan.

Nice one... and good luck. Without wishing to sound like a dad (ok, I will sound like a dad!) it sounds as though you have grown up a bit and I just hope that you can get on and enjoy life a bit more now and without too much alcohol as that can be a real problem.

It sounds as though the feo has some faith in you. Enjoy your shooting and, again, good luck. It can be pretty damn tough sometimes.

Cheers dad ;) yes I know it can be tough... Handgun ban in 1989 = 400% increase in armed crime to date etc etc... I don't understand how the government don't understand simple statistics but there you go, I don't see shooting as a sport becoming any easier in the coming years so it's my responsibility to keep our reputation clean. I'm looking forward to going for my FAC in the next year, I don't see it as a major obstacle just another challenge, if I have good reason and permission then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Thanks for your thoughts dadioles, atb, Dan.

I think serving in the army would help also.......lots of coppers are ex forces and appreciate people in disciplined service the same as they are......also you do sound to have grown up, pleased for you let us know wat gun you get and how you get on

....makes sense what you saying about growing up. In male men the part of the brain that is repsonsible for allowing you to process the consequences of action is not fully developed to around age 21 when most lads tend to settle down and become less impulsive.